Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bino observing in the Gulf of Aden

jollyjack

Hi all,

Deployed on an RN ship in the Gulf of Aden chasing bad guys. Have taken advantage of the beautiful weather to have a good session with my Pentax 12x50s my missus got me for Christmas. The seeing has been remarkably good but a little hazy dusk/dawn. Temperature about 22 degrees overnight, rising to 28-30 during the day :)

Anyway, being so far south is a unique opportunity for me and I have been looking at "Turn Left.." "Stargazing with Binoculars" and my Stellarium to find out what's out there. Didn't prepare me for the sight of the LMC and SMC low on the SSW horizon the other night, truly massive and awesome, some clusters & galaxies faintly visible within, nebulosity a bit vague but a definite blue smudge to the naked eye, about 3 degrees across. Will be investigating in much more detail through the coming weeks.

Saw NGC 2516, NGC 2541 and 2547 around Puppis and Carina, lovely through 12x50s, if a little dimmer than the 7/10x50s I'm used to. Am waiting for Crux, Southern Pliaedes and Centaurus to come over the horizon. We should be heading further south towards the equator over the coming weeks, so I should be able to see all of the southern sky! As I become more familiar with the area I will post on my obsevations. Incredible to see Orion overhead and the southern sky looking so new and inviting!

Without divulging any of her majestys secrets, how far south are you? I'm about 21 degrees N and am looking foward to seeing crux later in the year when its higher. Also, have a look for Horsey will you, find Alnitak and then move it out of FOV and see if you can pick out Horsey with averted vision. I'm hoping for another go at it tonight, but my lucks not holding out.

Fair weather to you shipmate.

Yeti,

You a mariner as well?

Do you mean Toddy astro centre? I'm from the other side of Burnley myself, Claret and True!

Never been to the observatory, would be interested in a job up there when I leave the Andrew.

About 11 degrees north at the mo.

Hi Jolly, not exactly a mariner, offshore oil. But I worked a couple of years on a drillship, if that counts!

Furthers south I've been is 6 degrees N. in the Indian Ocean. But I wasn't star gazing then, shame really.

When you home? Tuesday for me, starting with the channels.........

And yes, Tod astronomy center, not been for years, but might try to find time soon, methinks.

Furthers south I've been is 6 degrees N. in the Indian Ocean. But I wasn't star gazing then, shame really.

Sorry to hijack but if you want to talk about missed opportunities how about 67 degrees South? One of the team actually had a telescope but at the time I wasn't as interested in astronomy so I never asked to use it :)

Not hijacking at all twotter, old bean. 67* South! That is SOUTH, by a long chalk. I'll bet you're kicking yourself now eh?

My Aussie pal from Thailand was telling me about driving through the desert in Aus, 100's of Km from anywhere. He'd stop and turn off his lights, and after a few minutes everything would start popping out of the sky. Can't wait to go see it for myself.

The only recent history I have with more southern skies is trip to India last year, and Egypt over Christmas.

It was near the monsoon season India and as a result the atmosphere was so hazy, full of dust and Rubbish that only a few stars could be seen.

In Egypt the light pollution thing evidently hasn't caught on. I couldn't believe how bright the night sky is! One the plus side, the electric must've been cheap for them - it all came from the Aswan Dam.

Look after yourself and stay safe. If you see an English sub give my buddy a wave.

I this thread full of matelot's ?

I remember being on Beira patrol many years ago.

Did my trips to the South China Sea also.

Boogey Street in Singapore,down the Wanchai in Hong Kong,district 6 in Cape Town,down the Gut in Malta.:)

Some of the more colourful places around the world.

Always took my Pathescope 8x30's with me.

Not hijacking at all twotter, old bean. 67* South! That is SOUTH, by a long chalk. I'll bet you're kicking yourself now eh?

My Aussie pal from Thailand was telling me about driving through the desert in Aus, 100's of Km from anywhere. He'd stop and turn off his lights, and after a few minutes everything would start popping out of the sky. Can't wait to go see it for myself.

In a different line of work I also spent 4 months at 51 degrees south. Again that was before I got interested in astronomy but I'm sure I did look up at the night sky from time to time. Mind you back then I would really only have recognised the Moon and Orion :)

The joy of astronomy from the tropics. When I was a teenager my father was stationed in belize for 3 years. We had a motor boat and would head out to the cays (desert islands) and camp overnight with a few beers, fishing on the coral reef, snorkelling etc.

I can remember the night sky was pretty stunning from 16 deg north and the nearest light (other than the glow from the BBQ) being well over the horizon. Tshirt and shorts, phospheresence in the sea, fresh coconut and fish BBQ ....

Unfortunately I wasn't into astronomy then but I would give my hindteeth to do that again. Easily could have swept up those southern objects that you cannot see from England.

Mark

Alongside in port in the Indian Ocean arena at the moment, stargazing has been far from my mind over the last few days, my job is equivalent to being Regimental Sergeant Major in the Army, busy busy busy!

Have been following replies keenly, got mail today including my Sky at Night magazine, hopefully get some time to read it if my 200+ lads don't ceate too much havoc tonight!

Seriously wonder if the dark skies issue has led to many people going offshore to do their observing. Admittedly the platform may not be steady, so 'scopes out of the question, but for me the bins are perfect in this environment...............

Hope you're not all catching cold etc. Only29 degress today, bit dissapointing!

:)

Archived