Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moonlite focuser upgrade advice required!

Hello,

Havent been on here for quite a while (Waay too much busy to actually read forums at the moment!) but I have finally come down to ordering a new focuser for my Skywatcher 200P.

Now, couple of questions . . . .

Moonlite Focusers - MoonLite CR Dual Rate tri-knob Crayford Focuser for Newtonians

I will be getting one of these (from FLO, natch!) and need to know what size travel to get. I do intend to keep this and move from scope to scope with it (Once I eventually upgrade the tube etc.) and would eventually like to try imaging with my DSLR. I notice the 50mm travel is standard, would it be a bad idea to get the 70mm travel version? Would I also need to buy extension tubes no matter which one I buy?

Also, I will be getting the fixing kit to fit the scope too. Any advice is greatly apprciated!

Now, the most important question is: What colour? :)

what do you need the focuser for?

if you are only doing visual then the stock focuser should be fine..

Moonlite are designed to heft a weighty imaging train...

so ok if that is your need....

They do not just go 'scope-to-scope' unless it is of similar design and back/infocus requirements...

Get what you need for the scope you have and bearing in mind what you want to do with it..

A 350 quid focuser on a 200 quid tube is a serious investment, especially if not really needed and not 'transferable'..

not sure on your particular requirements for a newtonian.. I have a moonlite on an RCT..

But can vouch for their quality.

Steve

ps, red ones are faster!!!

I have a Moonlite on a 200P. Yes its a very expensive upgrade - costs more than the tube. But I have never regretted buying it.

It makes focusing much easier, the focus never slips regardless of how heavy the EPs are. I bought it because although I only do visual I found the stock focuser a bit weedy when hauling heavy EPs.

The Moonlite also makes collimation a lot easier as you have a completely solid focsuer with compression fitting for EP/collimators.

To get the Moonlite in you may need to widen the sxiting fixing holes slightly. Be wary because with the fixing screws looose the Moonlite may appoear to fit ok - as you tighten the screws if the holes arent wide enough you will put a dent in the scope tube.

FItting a Moonlite is fiddly ratrher than difficult. You will have to remove the spider and secondary mirror to get it fitted.

Drawtube length - I had the standard one which is about 95mm long from end to end. It works fine with all my EPs EXCEPT my Baader Hyperions which wont come to focus if used in their 2" mode. I get round this by using an extension tube or plugging them in using the 1.25" adapter which is ok as they are 13mm and 5mm so dont need a 2" fitting as a must.

I went for black as a color as its neutral and would suit a blue tube. With a white tube I would have had red. I really wanted a color but with a blue tube almost any other color but black would have looked naff to me.

Be prepared at Star Parties for people to come along and twiddle the Moonlites knobs to see if its really as good as people say - it is by the way.

Good luck with it.

Mel

Your right, it is a serious purchase, but after fiddling with James one (Ooh Err!) in Kielder I decided that I must have one! The focuser I have with my 200p is beyond carp tbh!

And yes, primarily visual, but I do want to image with a DSLR, I just havent got the time at the moment!

I was mainly wondering if the 70mm travel would be 'better' than the standard one, or is there any drawbacks to that much travel? I think I might give FLO a ring on Monday / Tuesday.

I have the standard moonlite replacement for the 200p and agree with astro babys thoughts on fitting, I had to slightly elongate the existing mounting holes.

Having just go back from astro fest and "fiddled" with many of the crayfords on the very expensive scopes, my conclusion is that the moonlite was far smoother than almost all of them.

John

I was mainly wondering if the 70mm travel would be 'better' than the standard one, or is there any drawbacks to that much travel? I think I might give FLO a ring on Monday / Tuesday.

I asked Steve the same question when I bought mine, thinking: "more travel must be better, right?". Nope. With the longer travel comes a longer drawtube - and if you've attached a camera (which normally needs more in-focus than an EP) - you risk the drawtube entering the OTA at focus and obscuring part of the opening.

(Which I note the new 200P Deneb's bought does too. :) See here: http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/96178-introducing-my-3rd-imaging-scope.html - 6th pic down. I can only presume the focuser is never racked that far in when in normal use - but his pic serves nicely to explain what I mean. ;))

I went for the 50mm travel version on my 200P - as it was close to the travel of the originally fitted focuser. Works like a charm.

As for the "it's expensive" comments, I agree, but it's a fantastic focuser. The fine-focus control is bloomin' brilliant, to be frank. A huge improvement on the Crayford fitted as standard.

I had the same experience as Astro_Baby when fitting mine too. The holes don't quite line up as perfectly as it first seems, and some fettling with a Dremel was required to avoid the base-plate distorting the OTA when nipped up tight. Didn't have to remove my secondary or spider tho - just wrapped it up in a zip-tied bag whilst I did the job, to protect it from finger marks and fine filings.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

Helps a heapload!

Mine is the old rack and pinion focuser so anything is an upgrade!

I am going to ring up this afternoon becasue I want to get it in time for Kielder and I will jsut double check that everything is in!

Cheers all. I think I will put together a few photos of the upgrade to help others!

Oh the Moonlite is an extracagance all right but I have never regretted for a second spending on it. It looks beautiful, the fine focus is the business, no more scope wobble there, collimation is a breeze and much more accurate and the Moonlite is just so solid.

Oh word of advice with them - when fitted make sure you give the top rollers (when you se one you'll know what I mean) are kept clean I use a cotton bud - otherwsie over time the general drek in the air will stick to the rollers and cause them to mar the top of the drawtube. Its not fatal and makes no difference to the operation of the focsuer but can look unsightly.

A quick rub with a cotton bud occasionbally will keep all the gubbins clean.

Archived