SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pleasant suprise

greenninja

I just headed outside for some naked eye sky familiarisation - first time in while. With no moon my sky is extremely usable to the south and up to the zenith -really a lot better than expected. The north is also pretty good as it faces out to sea, but is a little spoint by some houselights.

I have to say there are some really irritating "security" lights that have the potential to take away some night vision, but all in all bearing in mind the location it's not at all bad!

I think those pesky "lights on every 5 mins" security lights should be outlawed or redesigned so that the stray light from them can NOT point/spill outwards,sidewards,upwards (simple operation really). Not JUST because of astonomy but also because they are a nuisance.I have one across the road from me that takes off every few mins and it lights up the whole of the front of my house (including bedrooms) and wakes everyone up. I have had a chat with the owner and they have not changed its position. Next stop will be court. It IS light pollution.

It may also be worth you investing in a light pollution filter. I just bought a SkyWatcher LP from FLO for £30. It works really well. Not sure it is designed to block out the light wave lengths from security lights but it may help if you feel the need.

P.S.~~~the SW LPF also works GREAT as a moon filter if you dont already have one. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

There are laws that govern light nuisance - but they're a nightmare as no one at the local council either to enforces them or even understands them.

Not sure why they're called security lights - I reckon they give burglars a great way of seeing what they're doing.

The other thing I don't get is why one neighbour has to light up every plant in their garden with a spotlight - that has got to be the most pointless waste of electricity I've ever seen!

Anyhooo I ran off a quick star trails image and the level of ambient light that showed up was shocking - so while my sky is better than I thought, it's a long way from ideal.

I was lucky enough to go to africa last year and I have to say I've never seen so many naked eye stars - the milky way was amazing!

Not sure why they're called security lights - I reckon they give burglars a great way of seeing what they're doing.

Exactly. The one on the house behind my house not only gives burglars good viewing of breaking into THAT house but lights mine up also so they can see what they are doing if the wanna break into mine also.

Archived