Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Small, Lightweight scope for Moon and planets

I'm looking for a small, lightweight and cheap scope to be used mainly for lunar work but also for quick looks at Jupiter and Saturn. I'm thinking of maybe a Skywatcher Skymax-80 and would be interested in hearing any views on this scope or any alternatives I should consider.

John

John, you might find the 80mm aperture a bit small, especially when you consider the central mirror... If you can, look at one of the larger ones, like the 102 or 127.

Having said that, I've no experience of the 80mm Mak and it may be a superb little scope.

I was thinking of getting one that comes complete with EQ1 mount. I also thought I might try it on my old photo tripod.

I've just seen a review of the Skymax-90 by Sky at Night Magazine which said that it gives superb views of the Moon so perhaps I'll think about getting one of these. I know its only 10mm more aperture but its also only about £10 more money.

I think the Skymax-127 is a bit outside my budget.

John

Archived