NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

RegiStax 5 help please.

I was using an older version of RegiStax and everything worked fine then I upgraded to version 5 and cant seem to get it to align and stack. When i load the avi file in and select the area to track its follows the point as normal and looks like everything is working fine. Its only when i come to optimize that the image is jumping all over and obviously not aligned at all. Ive played around with various setting but to be perfectly honest Ive got to the point when im clicking about with things I dont understand :) Any ideas anyone? Thanks

Are you using the alignment box over (insert answer here)?

I have found the best way only recently mind you for mars was to click on the pole cap and sometimes needed to click again to get a smaller selection so the central green circle is only within the cap.

I run alignment one time with Blur diff and again with gradient 2 and see what the graphs look like.. and drag across the images using the frame goto and see which ones are the best to get a feel for what the images are doing and look at where the green difference graph jumps - I move the blue bar to the left at the smoothest part of the graph where there is limited jumps and where the quality is 80% or above this for the images I want to keep.......this seems to be better way than using the selection box over the whole planet image...which can be a bit jumpy.

Chris

Thanks for the reply. Its the Moon and Saturn. They are the only things ive used in V5. Ive tried selecting detail on both and the alignment box follows them perfect while it processes, then when i come to optimise its all over. I Can only manage a few good frames out of several hundred. Seems strange because in the older version i hardly had to touch any settings and it just did the job perfect everytime.

Thanks for the reply. Its the Moon and Saturn. They are the only things ive used in V5. Ive tried selecting detail on both and the alignment box follows them perfect while it processes, then when i come to optimise its all over. I Can only manage a few good frames out of several hundred. Seems strange because in the older version i hardly had to touch any settings and it just did the job perfect everytime.

What is your selection % before optimising ?

Another thing have you picked the best frame for optimising against?

There are some good tips in the manual that may be of help

http://www.astronomie.be/registax/registax5usermanual.pdf

Chris

The lowest it goes it 83% but ive tried a variation. Just read through and still cant see where im going wrong. Ive tried multipoint and center of gravity etc and while its aligning it follows it perfect but in the preview when it optimizes no matter what i change at least 60% of the frames are just black space. Its as if its picking random parts of the image even though there is no drift on the align preview hmm

Sorry I cant be of more use :);)

I only had that problem once and that was when using multi point...on single captured images.

Not seen it when using an AVI video file.

I am sure someone else here may shed more expert opinion on this and be of more help.

Chris

Thankyou mate, Thanks for the link to the user guide. I need to study it more. Im sure the answer must be in there somewhere. At a first read through Its not popped out at me but I am a complete newbie to imaging :) It just seems very strange but in the end will turn out to be my complete lack of knowledge ;) thanks again

You could join the Registax user group on Yahoo, the authors can be very helpful. There was an upper limit to the number of frames you can stack. It was 2,000. I'm not sure if it still holds, as sometimes I can get just over 2,000 to work, sometimes I can't.

If you try moving the Quality Settings down a bit (minimise one of the boxes further down, then drag Quality down), there are a couple more options under ROI. Try selecting Align using Centre of Gravity. Also, for an image of Saturn that size, I'd expect to be selecting either the whole orb or the orb & rings, which would be between 64 & 128, rather than the 32 you have selected.

If you try the CG method, you may need to fiddle with the lum threshold to get the box aligned - the advantage is that if it jumps about alot, Registax will track it.

M.

Archived