Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First view through a scope !!!! OMG

Teddy

Hi all

I hope this does not bore anyone , but i feel the need to share my first night with a scope.:)

Me and the missus went to todmorden observatory and it was unreal. I only own a pair of 10x50s and i have been really frustrated by all the clouds. Well as you all know it was a beautifull clear night on sat and i had the time to get out n about. As the night was so clear we went off to the astronomy centre as i really really wanted to view through a scope and aint got one due to funds.;) (saving for the right one).

I got there at just gone 9 and there was Andy (meet one before) and he spent the next 3 hours blowing our mind. Mars was first one the cards and through the 16" meade there it was , really nice sight. The ice cap was outstanding and i still cant believe i could see it. We moved onto the moon and was able to focus on the edge which showed a profile and there where mountains and craters visable. again amazing.:):D

After a brew and a sarnie we found the orion nebula and a greyish blob was clear to see and i was a fav. The double cluster and andromida galaxy was next although andromida was really hard to make out. back to mars and then the WOW of all WOWs....yes SATURN. I still can not get over saturn and can still see it in my head. The rings were very clear (although to straight on at this mo) and the moons were on view to.

I hope i have not cheated in any way by going to a site like this but i have no scope as i said. i wanted to take advantage of the clear night. I will be getting a scope and last night makes me want to do it all again but on my own equipment.

Thanks to all that we there , u were great and helpfull. I will never forget that night , nor will the missus. I still cant believe what i saw and more to the point what it was that i saw. anyone who does not like view these things once are missing out.

So thats me done !!! i am addicted to this hobby and hope i still am in years to come.

Still Buzzin !!!!!!! ;):blob9:;):blob9::D

Teddy

Not cheating at all! Tod is an excellent site (less than a mile from my house, as the crow flies) although it seems eons since I went there and was shown the ring nebula on an 8" newt. The main observatory was just a small wall back then.

Where abouts are you, btw, to have just popped over to Tod?

I live in Salford , not popping really is it lol

Worth the drive..... i work in halifax so used to being on the road.

Hey next time u go let us know , will try and make it down.

Teddy.

i too had my first luck through a 16 inch lightbridge on Friday night, was able to view lots of stuff my 6" would never be able to pick out like the bode galaxies (hope i`ve spelt that right) these are amazing things to lok through and you get so much more out of the hobby by learning for others i think, i`ve had mine for a year now and am still trying to find my way around the night sky

Salford to Hafilax everyday!!! Jeepers that must drive you nuts!

I've currently got my own little "semi-dark site" in Bacup, but I'd like to get over to Tod and have a peek through his BIG scope soon. Planning is something else I'm no good at though. If you are thinking of going over again this month, I'm home from 9th Feb til 6th Mar. It is no problem for me to get over there, as it is just a short drive.

Yep it's 50 miles door 2 door. I work at the vw garage on shelf roundabout if ya know it. Car sales is a ball ache so u have to go where the best work is.

Nice one red. Wish I had the 16" in my garden but not sure I could afford it with a 500 quid budget lol. Mega piece of equipment ay

Think I will try to start out with a 6 or 8 inch we will see . If I go went for the 8 I think I would get years out of it. Have a garage in the garden so storage no prob n it is quite dark. Well it's prob just dark enough. And the garden is long so have space to. And best of all neighbours are cool and will turn out all there lights as i have already asked.

Teddy,

I think the first time (with a scope of course:D) gets us all like that.

Mine was last May with a little C80 ED and Jupiter was the big WOW! September brought another - a gert big eyeful of the Pleiades.

Great to have sound neighbours like that.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new addicti... er I mean hobby!

Cheer Dave

Yeah I can't wait to see jupiter through a scope , tryed with my bino's but not all that great

I will reward the nieghbours with a nice wow off there own one day when I get set up. Could be the start for them too if they love it. We all got kids so would be nice if everyone joins in

Thanks for the welcome

Cheers

Teddy

Archived