Thinking of getting into stargazing...

A few posts have suggested binoculars and I know that this is "the official party line" for newbies, but personally, if you don't already have a pair, I would say don't go and buy some especially for astronomy. You will be more disappointed than with a small refractor, as at least the small refractor will stay still. Also binos the diameter of a small refractor are not cheap and will more than eat up your entry budget.

Oh I think all Newbies should be marched down to LIDL whenever the offer on the Bresser/Meade Bak 4 10x50s is on for around £15 and have the cash forcibly extracted to buy a pair. :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I'm having to go back to square one and researching all this again.

Getting a dob seems to bump up the price quickly (Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian 6" for £180). Also would I not need to spend more on eye-pieces to get the most out of this? (or will that be the case with the Skywatcher Explorer 130 too?).

If I stick to a budget of £130 max, isn't the Skywatcher Explorer 130 the best hardware for that price?

(Also, I hate you guys for tempting me to spend more.....coz I'm considering it now :-P)

Getting the scope is only the start! More eyepieces, something to put them in, software ( although Stellarium is free), more eyepieces, cos you sold the ones you just bought to get better ones, then aperture fever comes along and you start looking at retail websites, and "£250 isnt so much, and if I just add another £50, I can get the better one, then that ones only a few quid more...........) and so it goes on......

Allan

Archived