NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

TheSkyX Serious Astronomer software

ako

What do you want it for? Have to say for me, SNP uses more resources and I prefer Cartes du Ciel (free) or TheSky (only tried 6). Neither hog the machine and I really like CdC ability to easily invert the view so you can see what it looks like through the 'scope. I think TheSky6 has the best renditioning of stars (compared to SNP and CdC), but the ability to add catalogs to CdC and switch them on/off really does help sort the wheat from the chaff.

Personally, for the money (free!), I'd go with CdC: start [skychart]

I have both, and both have their place. I would say TheSky is more technical, more oriented toward use as a specific tool for the astronomer (better maps, better observer planning, more object catalogues), while Starry Night is better as a Planetarium - focused on attractive and realistic display of the sky (better spaceship simulation, viewing from other locations in the solar system, etc). Both can control a telescope, although TheSky is, in theory, better at that.

I'll use TheSky more when the next support release comes out, because there are some "growing pains" with the first release - some bugs, missing features, etc. I think it will be necessary to upgrade to the "professional edition" to get the full telescope control hub functionality, but there is no date available for that release yet.

- Richard

Don't have the X version, but I use TheSky V6 Serious Am. version.

It does everything it says on the box and a little more. Very good graphics and a solid database.

With ASCOM plugins can work with EQMOD to control GOTO's etc on your HEQ mount.

The only thing which has put me off is that the SA version will not read the USNO star catalogues ( stars down to 18 mag), SB wanted me to "upgrade" to the Pro version - an additional $250 at the time!

I went over to Carte du Ciel which does read the USNO catalogues.

Ken

Archived