Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 .... bit of help

Call me soft , but i have not been out as its been to cloudy and far far to cold. Tonight (cloud allowing) i want to see somethin different to the constellations i have learnt before xmas. I have a pair of 10x50 Opticron binos and i fancy starting with M31 (if i am right that is the amdromida galaxy , the closest gallax to ours). :)

SO.... couple of questions so i am not out for to long as my missus is coming out tonight to. ;)

1 - Is it easy to find and whats the best way to find it.

2 - will the 10 x 50s be ok to do this

3 - Whats the best time to see it, as i am useing binos without a tripod so i want to liedown if thats poss.

any further help that i have not thought of is cool ....any facts about M31 nice to know. Plus anything i can look for near M31

Cheers

Teddy

10x50 should be fine..

look for the big 'W" of Cassiopeia.. high overhead...

find the lower star of the right hand 'V' (shedir) and use it as a pointer..

follow it down about the length of the full 'W' and 'nudge' to the right a tad..

It should be in FOV as a distinct oval fuzz at least, probably more defined if the sky is fairly LP free.

Steve

Moonlight could be a hindrance for you in your quest for M31 tonight. It will be bright and wash out the sky, making M31 more difficult to find and less of a spectacle than when the sky is darker without the moon.

If you are going for it tonight anyway, early evening is best. It will be setting over the NW horizon by midnight. Your 10x50s will do the job.

If you are familiar with the Square of Pegasus and the bright stars that make up Andromeda constellation, you should find it easily. The top left star of the Pegasus square is one of 3 bright stars that strike a line eastwards a little below Cassiopiea. From the middle star of this line, star hop northwards through 2 fairly bright stars, and you will find M31 just north of the north-most star in that line

One interesting fact - M31 is moving towards our galaxy. One day in the very, very, very distant future it will collide with the Milky Way !! :)

Good luck if you are out tonight.;)

Through a decent pair of 10x50s, Andromeda will be fuzzy elongated patch. You will need a very clear night to see it but currently with the moon nearly full it may be too faint to pick up!

Look for the great square in Pegasus and the 'W' of Cassiopeia (this time of year should be pretty much over head) Use these as signposts and you should find M31 inbetween them. I am a beginner to so I am sure someone else would be able to give better directions!

If you do manage to make anything out the you are seeing the light from three hundred billion stars sitting 2.2 million light years away!!

1 - It's easy to find but the 1st time may take a little patience. The best way for me is to look for the great square of pegasus in the west right after sunset. From the top most vertex star in the square, hop 2 bright stars up. Now remember that star. From that star hop to the next bright star to the right. Imagine a line over this last 2 star, andromeda sits on that line to the right, at the same distance there is between the 2 stars you're using as reference. See attachment.

2- Binos show it as a small cloud with a bright core and fading towards the edges.

3- Any time is goo as long as it's up. Moonlight and light pollution wash it out a lot and make it harder to see.

Brilliant......

Cheers for such a quick responce and everything said will really help. Cant wait now , just one problem........RAIN , CLOUDS , RAIN.....arrgghhh

Never mind its only a matter of time before i can get out and find it.

Pvaz that diagram will help sooo much thanks for that. And Darkersky thats really mindblowing to think that one day it will collide with our galaxy. in a weird kinda way i would love to see that , if u know what i mean. doubt i will live all those billions of year lol

Thanks if u like i will post my results when i find it on this thread.

how much more does a scope show u ???

Teddy

Archived