NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5 Alignment, Have I Got This Right?

Non of the technical jargon as i havent learnt it all yet, but can someone let me know if this is right, using an EQ5 mount.

If I callibrate the polar scope reticle, then take the mount outside onto my patio where it's going to get the most use (also has a good view of polaris), if i then point the leg with the N roughly north, then using the side to side adjusters and the alt bolts to get polaris in the polar scope where it's supposed to be, if I then put chalk marks on the patio at the tripod foot positions. Will it then be perfectly aligned every time I take it out if i place the tripod feet onto my marks?

Once you have a good polar alignment then it can be replicated in the way you've described. However, if you remove the scope or move the telescopic legs on the tripod then some of the accuracy will go. It's very difficult to position the scope exactly from where is was removed.

I do something similar with one of my mounts. I now have three small holes on the patio where the tripod legs locate. I do however leave the scope on the mount and carry it very carefully from the garage!

HTH

Steve

I tend to transport mine in two parts, scope with rings and dovetail attached, then rest of mount inc legs etc, I put the tripod up then put the devetail in and tighten up. Am I missing something here, surely removing attaching the scope wont make any difference as it sits in the dovetail and andy movement would only be similar to say loosening the rings & rotating the tube as you would when using?

For some reason i had forgotten being level lol

Best thing is to try it one night. Having set it up on the chalk marks and done your polar alignment, break it down into its two parts, move them and reassemble back on the marks. You might be lucky in repositioning the dovetail exactly where it was for the initial alignment.

Steve

Hmm, but the dovetail doesn't play a part in the polar alignment as it only rotates on the RA axis....

Provided you don't nudge the mount in either axis on the mount, you should be OK TH

When aligned, I would also make a small mark on the tripod AND mount at a discrete, but easily accessible point so if you do move things when moving, you can quickly get back to a pretty good alignment quickly

Archived