Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Relief

MishMich

After three weeks of cloud and setting up only to be disappointed by cloud rolling in, after another cloudy evening, I looked out before going to bed, and Mars must have been the brightest I have seen. Visually, quite prominent in the sky, despite the lunar glow obscuring many stars.

So, at last I was able to get out, and get to do some observing and test out the QHY5 a bit further on Mars & Saturn, with filters. It was late, so I had to limit what I did, so not got to test autoguiding - figure I'll do that when the lunar glow is absent.

It seemed very clear to me tonight. I never cease to be taken aback by Saturn, and I could see at least one its moons, I am sure. I am growing quite fond of the TMB 6mm planetary eyepiece. I was quite surprised when I skeptically popped the 2x barlow between it and the diagonal - the image was still pretty clear, slightly less contrast and definition and the bits that float around in my eye seemed more noticeable. Mars was too bright for me to make much out at all - in fact, it looked better three weeks ago. But then I was using the SPX - tonight I was using the ED80. It's not ideal for planets, but I had set it up to check something out, and I like using it.

After three very frustrating weeks, it was quite a relief. I wondered if I'd ever see a clear sky again. I was also surprised, after two hours out, that there was not a sign of dew or moisture on the scope.

M.

The seeing, here in China, last night was splendid. So clear. How I wish I had even a cheapo scope to pull in Mars and Saturn. With the 20x80 binos I could clearly make out shape and body to Mars, even with the nearly full moon directly over head. M42 wasn't washed out as much as I'd expected either. A shame that rig movement and vibration from the engines were causing the image to leap about. Still, after so long without any gaps in the clouds, it was wonderful to see anything again.

This morning I was able to get a good look at Scorpius and Pictus (as far as I can accertain) whilst hoping, yet again in vane, to see Mercury.

well done both of you for getting out under the stars. Yeti - i'm guessing the rig movement etc would make it difficult to get some photos of the southern sky from your aspect? Great to hear you talk about stuff further south than we can see in the UK :)

M. - I have those eye floaters too. When they are directly in front of what I want to see I just keep blinking and rolling my eyes...that seems to move them out of the way...albeit temporarily. It's a pain tho

Archived