Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Question About My Knob

Oh how I love those innuendos! Anyway, my question is this, i have an EQ5 mount which has two knobs for the dec and ra, I've seen other mounts that have the knobs on the end of some sort of flexible drive type thing, not motorised, I mean like the knobs are on the end of flexible extenders.

Can someone tell me, do these make things a lot easier as i'm struggling with my knobs when looking through the scope, where do i get them from and are there different sorts, ie cheap Rubbish ones and good ones.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't used a mount with knobs instead of the control stalks, and I don't imagine it would be comfortable. I have seen skywatcher control stalks offered, but can't find them at the moment. I would suggest that you get at least the RA motor for your mount, as it makes viewing an object over time easier if you don't have to play with your knob while viewing.

Unless those motors are different from the EQ3-2 ones, you will find the fastest slew rate is very slow. The Dec adjusstment has a clutch so you can release the motor and use the manual control. With the RA adjustment, you will find that you have to release the lever on the mount and swing the RA axis. This isn't a problem, but you can't slew with the motors.

Buyin the motors is a good decision.

OK, can confirm that the kit is the same but it isn't, same sort of setup but because the stands are different the kits are, i think maybe the motors are upgraded a little.

Both motors have a clutch on mine, well, i say a clutch, it's a knurled knob lol, basically just logs the gear to the spindle, they also have a pass thru spindle meaning you put your original knobs back on after the gears are fitted to the spindles, you're right, it IS slow, it has track speed, then x2 x4 and x8 May do a mini review on these at a later point, few flaws in the design i think.

I can definately sympathise with you about getting to the knobs, you need to be a contortionist !! I End up feeling around the mount to find them whilst still looking in the ep and then giving up and have to look for them.

Be good to know what you think of the motors.

Very first impression, would i buy them again now I've bought them and fitted them and played with it a little? Yes, however, I did have to run out to the hardware shop and buy a new bolt to fix the dec motor to the mount, the one supplied was 5mm too short!

Yes, 8X is fastest, I've also donr a very slight mod, I have more in mind but I'm lacking inspiration for the part/s I need going to throw a couple of pics up later.

EDIT

Review now up in the reviews section along with some pics and my mod so far.

Archived