Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is it possible to mount...

Takahashi

... an EZ-touch head on an EQ6 tripod?

I need a G&G mount/tripod capable of wielding a 110 APO/dSLR + Megrez 72, side-by-side, but I'm struggling to justify the cost of the full EZ-Touch setup, so I'd like (if possible) to mount the head itself onto my EQ6 tripod. Has anyone managed to do this before?

Ivor

See this......

William optics Accessories from Ian King Imaging

William Optics Eztouch Mounting on EQ6 Tripod

eztoucheq6.jpg William Optics Eztouch Altazimuth head on Skywatcher EQ6 Tripod.

Makes a very sturdy combination and is excellent value.

This new improved head mount is made by William Optics.

It is entirely aluminum made, with a stylish sanded finish and laser engraving. The knobs are stainless steel. We named it EAZY-Touch because it's easy to set-up, and it is easy to use. Tracking stars even at high-power has never been easier. The extremely high quality allows for smooth movements without the need for any slow-motion controls. This very solid Alt-Az Mount is fitted with a Vixen bar clamp on one side and can mount Losmandy-style plates on the other, allowing you to mount to telescopes at one time. Mounting two telescopes should allow you to balance each other more easily too. Two scopes, twice the fun: invite your family to observe with you, or use a larger and a smaller scopes at the same time parallel-mounted.

The head weighs 3.5 kg and mounted on a quality tripod will offer all the stability you need without compromising its portability and ease of use. The "Teflon inside" guarantees that there is no backlash and that your mount will peform oustandingly.

Excellent, thanks Jamie. I may splash on the WO wooden tripod eventually, but this will get me up and running for a while first. :) I want to use my scopes for bird-photography and general nature obsy'ing whenever I can, so this would be ideal.

I may splash on the WO wooden tripod eventually, but this will get me up and running for a while first.

Well, the WO wooden tripod is much lighter, but is nowhere near as solid as the EQ6 tripod!

One little known feature of the EZTouch, you can screw off the bottom piece of tubing (below the gold band in the image above), if you do so then there is a thread in the piece that's left which fits an ordinary 3/8" camera tripod screw. Saves quite a bit of weight, too. Obviously your camera tripod needs to be on the sturdy side if you want to hang 10Kg of scopes off it, but it gives you yet another option when you're only using one small scope & want it to be more portable.

Well, the WO wooden tripod is much lighter, but is nowhere near as solid as the EQ6 tripod!
Hmmm... that's interesting to know. You may have just saved me £120+ ! :D

I doubt I'd use my current camera tripod beyond the odd occasion where I've had my Megrez 72 + dSLR on it - it's a Lander 830(?), and is quite wobbly with just those two on top, sporting a 5-ish second steadying time. Maybe in future, when I can afford one of the chunkier Manfrottos. Jeez... this hobby is just spend, spend, spend... :)

Archived