What do i need to take pictures with my skywatcher 130

I have the skywatcher 130 with the motor and an olympus e400 dslr

what exactly would i need to connect the two and what kind of pictures would i expect to get?

im pretty new to this so its just to get me started until i buy better equipment.

i have read a few posts where people say they cant focus properly because of either the scope or camera not being good enough, would i have this problem?

thanks

There are issues with inwards focus travel with this telescope so I would urge you to search the SGL archive for posts on this subject. You will need an Olympus 'T' adapter and a 1.25" nosepiece adapter (Astro Engineering AC457) to connect to this telescope BUT you will need to resolve the focus issue.

I have successfully imaged both Moon and Planets with my 130PM, I used a Philips SPC900NC camera, combined with a 2x Barlow, and a 3x Barlow. I would say that initially focussing and getting the correct exposure setting was a challenge, but once you have that sussed it gets a lot easier.

I have also recently purchased a Meade DSI, which allows me to go for the feint stuff, of which i have only managed a few successful nights imaging. Capturing a globular cluster and the orion nebula all of which i am very happy with. The mount that comes with the 130 doesn't really allow for long exposure imaging, but it will handle around 8-15 second exposures.

If i were you i would have a crack at doing planets, they're big, bright and easy to find, don't expect amazing results initially, but you will be surprised and no doubt buzzing once you have captured your first image.

I have not tried a DSLR with the scope yet as i don't have one, but as steppenwolf says the inward travel may be a problem when focussing.

So far I've only spent around £200 on imaging kit, thats both cameras and some filters to help out.

If you need any help just ask...

Matt

No, you can't directly connect the 130 (nor several other of the cheaper SkyWatcher scopes) to a DSLR. As people have said, the focuser doesn't bring the camera close enough to get to the actual focus point, which is very frustrating. A webcam, however, doesn't have as long a distance between its mount and the CCD, so it will just come to focus. Unfortunately, no cheap webcam is now available which gives good results though the Celestron NexImage is still available and is the same as the Philips models referred to. For more info see here: Webcams for astro-imaging

However, you might be able to focus your DSLR if you include the 2x Barlow in the system -- that is, put the Barlow in the focuser, then attach the camera (using an appropriate adapter) to the Barlow. This doubles the magnification so it's a bit more tricky to use, but is fine for lunar imaging in particular. It works with my Celestron Untima 2x Barlow but I don't think I've tried it with the SW130 Barlow.

Robin

Vice President, SPA

I have a 114mm Celestron Newtonian pretty much like that and I shortened the tube by a bit more than an inch to get a DSLR to focus. Just remove the bottom end (where the mirror is), cut a strip off the tube and reattach the mirror holder (you need to make some new holes for the screws). Ok, it's pretty radical...

I have the same scope as you, superjody, and I have the following setup:

focuser : 1.25 eyepiece holder : barlow lens (removed from barlow) : T-adapter (just the nosepiece) : T mount ring : camera (Nikon DSLR).

This allows me to achieve focus with the barlow close as possible to the camera, and therefore the widest field I can manage. I seem to be able to get up to 30s exposures like this. I'm a total beginner having only bought the scope in November, but here's an example of an image I took: http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/93234-m42-managed-image.html

I know it's not great but I'm (slowly) learning, so I hope my struggling experiences are of some help to you!

Cheers guys, some good advise here

I have successfully imaged both Moon and Planets with my 130PM, I used a Philips SPC900NC camera, combined with a 2x Barlow, and a 3x Barlow. I would say that initially focussing and getting the correct exposure setting was a challenge, but once you have that sussed it gets a lot easier.

I have also recently purchased a Meade DSI, which allows me to go for the feint stuff, of which i have only managed a few successful nights imaging. Capturing a globular cluster and the orion nebula all of which i am very happy with. The mount that comes with the 130 doesn't really allow for long exposure imaging, but it will handle around 8-15 second exposures.

If i were you i would have a crack at doing planets, they're big, bright and easy to find, don't expect amazing results initially, but you will be surprised and no doubt buzzing once you have captured your first image.

I have not tried a DSLR with the scope yet as i don't have one, but as steppenwolf says the inward travel may be a problem when focussing.

So far I've only spent around £200 on imaging kit, thats both cameras and some filters to help out.

If you need any help just ask...

Matt

Cheers matt, im am thinking of maybe using a webcam too, il keep an eye out for a good one second hand on here or ebay...if its at a good price that is ha ha

I have the same scope as you, superjody, and I have the following setup:

focuser : 1.25 eyepiece holder : barlow lens (removed from barlow) : T-adapter (just the nosepiece) : T mount ring : camera (Nikon DSLR).

This allows me to achieve focus with the barlow close as possible to the camera, and therefore the widest field I can manage. I seem to be able to get up to 30s exposures like this. I'm a total beginner having only bought the scope in November, but here's an example of an image I took: http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/93234-m42-managed-image.html

I know it's not great but I'm (slowly) learning, so I hope my struggling experiences are of some help to you!

your struggling experiences are perfect, it can be done and thats god enough for me:D

il have to pull my finger out and get the adaptors so i can get snapping away, thanks

Archived