Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi Guys, just joined....I Need help finding a new scope....

Hi Guys.!

Just joined your site yesterday after trying to find information as i've only just started with my first set up. I'm already after finding somewhere to buy just a telescope on its own without the mount.

Does anyone know where i can.?.... as i have an A-Z mount and need or just want to upgrade my 114mm x1000mm to something like a 150mm x 12000mm.

I hope someone can help me.? :)

Welcome to the forum!

Lots of places sell "optical tube assemblies" (that's what you say you want).

Just be careful when upgrading a scope on an existing mount, it will be less stable & could be at risk of blowing over in a breeze (ouch!) or vibrating too much to be useful. The weight of a tube is, other things being equal, proportional to the cube of the aperture, so you'd expect a 150mm scope to weigh 2.27 times as much as a 114mm scope, and to have 1.7 times the "sail area".

I take it the scope you have at the moment is a refractor. You might find a SCT or Maksutov tube a better upgrade than an upsized 'frac (on the same mount) as they're shorter & lighter for their aperture.

Yeah the SKYMAX 127 looks good...see i've already got my mount and i dont think at this stage i wll change it, it may not be the best mount out there but i would like to get the best i could fit onto it to get the best view of saturn etc.. If this new hobby kicks off for me i will in the future upgrade my kit. So the best scope is what i'm looking for at the moment.

Well you will be resticted to a certain extent with regard DSO with a 5" inch aperture, but that said the Skymax optics are very good, I took the little 4" Skymax to a few dark sky sites and was able to resolve popular Messier objects e.g. M31, 81, 45 etc to a good enough degree to keep me interested. I do not think you would be dissapointed with the 127, the site sponsor (FLO) retails the OTA on its own.

Cheers

Kev

Archived