Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Loose screws on the back of the 130p

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the screws actually do on the back of the scope do, as I notice there are 3 longer length screws and 3 bigger head screws on the back.

The 3 longer ones are slightly loose, and I was wondering if it is safe to tighten these up without effecting the collimation of the scope, or do I need to do collimation now, which will be hard due to having no chesire eyepiece or colli cap. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

And they shouldn't be loose, they should be "snug", i.e. NOT tight like wheel nuts! They are the ones which you use to adjust the position of your primary and the smaller ones are the locking screws, which also should only be snug or "nipped" up. No need for ham-fisted gorrila tactics where 'scopes are concerned.

if you feel that your collimation is out then you can do a simple version without a collimator or cap. Not as acurate, but if it will improve things, then worth doing. Read the guides first, as you would be touching the same parts of the scope. If you don't feel capable of the task, better to find someone local who can do the job properly, otherwise things could quite easily become rather expensive...........

Thanks for the replies, I will try tighten them and see, but the locking screws arent loose, just the collimating ones, and when I defocused a star it look pretty concentric, airy disc and not out in anyway, but will do a star test after tightening and see how it fairs on collimation by a star test defocusing.

Archived