NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Guiding improvement

I have had some torrid times with guiding as I have stated on other threads, so anyway after alot of digging, including watching Craig Starks video someone put a link to here or was it CN :) I have done the following which seems to improved things no end.

Craig made a big point about flexture and some comments about using a finderscope as I do.

So I have removed the rubber ring from my finderguider and drilled and tapped holes in the finder holder and using metal screws the finderscope is now securly in place.

I have added velcro to my cables and main scope rings so to make sure any strain of the cables is on the rings and not on the QHY5 or DSLR as this I know was causing some major problems with the guiding.

So last night I tried it all out and the guide graph was much flatter when the clouds were absent.

Picture shows my setup, the finderguider holder mods and the velcro.

I have also fixed an extra finder for alignment reasons to save me swapping finder and guider plus I have put my JMI electric crayford focuser on the OTA.

The set up now is so the camera and guider are mount side reducing the amount counterweight needed.

post-15319-133877420689_thumb.jpg

Nice work Pete hope it all helps no reason why it shouldn't :)

I use a cheap red dot just to get the alignment stars on the chip of the guidecam and then use its output for the actual alignment - using the bullseye overlay in PHDGuide... I find this much easier than trying to look through an optical finder Whilst aligning the mount...

If I am beign really fussy I change the camera selected in PHDGuide and use the images from the DMK which lives in the back of the 8"...

Peter...

• 4 weeks later...

Pete, I'm trying to also use a 9x50 finder as my guide scope. Did you have to cut the tube length down at all or did you just get it to focus using the front lens adjustment. I'm really struggling to get it to focus on a star and it is getting me down, do you any instructions or a web site link showing exactly how to get this to work?

Thanks

Carl

I didn't have to do any hacking of the finder - see link

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/84726-diy-finder-guider.html

Focusing is very tight - a small twist of the front lens very quickly bloats the stars and then just as quickly you won't see them at all. I had to place the webcam only a few mm (5 ish)away from the back edge of the guidescope, if fully in the front lens wouldn't screw out far enough

I can make the same observations about my DIY 9x50 finder/guider. I've removed the front lens locking ring so that the lens screws on to the finder body an extra 3 or 4mm. Then the SPC900NC camera is 5mm behind the plane of the other end of the finder body. I focus by screwing the front lens in and out, just 1 or 2 turns either way makes all the difference. The combination works great with PHD.

Archived