NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Upgrade advice needed

i was thinking of upgrading my skywatcher evostar 120.

im pretty new to stargazing and dont really know what to go for.

i will spend around £400 on something that will be able to fit on my eq5 mount.

ive been looking at the skymax pro 150 mak but keep wondering if this would really be a significant upgrade and im also worried about image shift (whatever that is) that i keep reading about.

does anyone have any advice or views on this scope or other's for around the same price ?

any help would be much appreciated.

also i will have to sell the evostar (minus tripod and mount) to help fund whatever new scope i decide to get but have no idea of how much i should let it go for.

like i said im pretty new and the scope is only a couple of months old and is in exellent condition.

cheers

Tez

To get a big gain in what you see I would jump up to at least a skywatcher 200p this would sit well on your EQ5. It's a completely different scope being a newtonian but it's light grasp will enable lots more dso's into your field of view.

The EQ5 will not hold a 10" scope steadily I feel. I think Doc (Mick) was referring to looking out for an 8" optical tube assembly - OTA (ie: the scope tube without the mount) and getting that to go on the mount. They come up for sale 2nd hand quite regularly for a lot less than £400. You might even find someone who would like to trade with your Evostar 120 if you place a "for trade" ad on SGL and / or UK Astro Buy & Sell.

Another option would be an 8" schmidt-cassegrain which would sit on your EQ5 well for visual use - they come up within your budget as well.

Also look out for the UK made Orion Optics newtonian OTA's - they are quite a bit lighter than their Skywatcher counterparts.

269 thats pretty good !!

yeah i figured it would be cheaper without the mount but i want to spend 400 on just the scope and get the most bang for my buck.

sorry i proberbly didnt explain myself too well in my first post lol

i suppose basicly what im asking is what do you guys think is the best scope (OTA) that you can get for £400 and would i see thing a lot clearer through it than i would through my evostar ?

good point about the 10" on the eq5 i didnt give that a thought.

im going to check out FLO now

thanks guys :)

I would suggest that your 120 achromat is pretty darned good as a visual instrument. I once had a clone badged as a Konus and thought it did very well indeed. Indeed I still have a 150 version amidst some more exotic glass. Personally I would not expect all that much more from an 8 inch Newt or 6 inch Mak than you have already. More light grasp, yes, but less contrast. Before you make a decision I would think a trip to an astrosoc or star party would be in order to have a look through some scopes. Assuming you have the longer focal length version, not the very colour-fringed Startravel one, I would prefer it to either of the scopes you mention. The long focal length of the Mak would leave me feeling very boxed in other than on the planets. A good 8 inch Newt is more versatile, I would say.

I had the 120 at the same time as an 8 inch SCT and preferred it, quite honestly.

Image shift is nothing to worry about unless you are imaging. It just means that as you focus by moving the primary on a catadiaptric the target shifts in the field of view.

Drives you nuts while imaging but not while using an EP.

Olly

Haha thanks olly youve really got me thinking now lol

do i actually need another scope or am i just being kinda greedy thinking if i spend a bit more i will see more :)

i live pretty close to the sussex astronomy centre who i now hold regular star party so yeah thats a good idea, i'll proberbly be best going along and having a look to see wich is best for me.

it's all very confusing thank god for you guy's

oh yeah it's the long focal length one i have olly btw

thank's again for all this advice

Archived