dabbling...

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping this is the right place to be for a spot of help!!

I bought my other half a Skywatcher 130em for Christmas as he's always shown an interest in the night sky and we are very lucky to live in an area with very little light pollution.

The telescope seems perfect for starting out. We're just waiting for these horrid snow clouds to disappear so we can check it out properly!

The help I need is this;:)

I am a photographer, so naturally I would love to have a dabble in astrophotography! This is a whole new ball game to me as my background is in press photography - am I right in thinking that I can only use my camera with the telescope at it's prime focal length (900mm) with no eye pieces attached? I bought the camera adapter which fits on when we take off the eye pieces and barlow lens. Are there any eye pieces available that I can use the camera with for increasing magnification?

Look forward to any answers you may have :)

Welcome to SGL.

To increase the magnification you can use a barlow which will sit between the camera (without lens) and 'scope.

Or you can use a method called afocul - you use the eyepeice and the camera lens.

There are two methods a universal version and a specific version.

The universal version is just that... it'll work with almost any camera / lens / eyepeice combination - but you have to make sure that everything is lined up correctly... Adaptors - Skywatcher Universal Camera Adapter

The other version is a system called Digi-T which is camera specific, and you have to have compatible eyepieces to affix it too. The advantage of this version is that the lining up is done for you, it cannot be mis-aligned. Digi-T Digital Camera Adapters

What camera do you have? what are you hoping to take pictures of?

Cheers

Ant

Hi Ant - Thanks for the info!

I guess I want to keep it simple for the time being until I get used to what I'm doing and can progress. I would love to try my hand at deep sky objects though..

I have a Canon 1d MIII and Canon 40d (which I thought would be suitable as it is small) and a Nikon d3. The adapter I have bought so far is the ring mount for Canon...

My 'astrophotography' so far has been waiting for nice clear nights and taking more general shots.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mountainbikephotography/4252165846/

As I say this is something I am VERY new to but find it absolutely fascinating!!

Archived