CG-5 setup help

I have been trying to set up C9.25 on CG-5 mount for couple of hours. I had been supplied with 3 counterweights and can not work out how may of them I need to balance the telescope and how to balance it. :)

I managed to set it up quickly and when I attempted to use hand controller the scope did not move, although I heard the motor movement noise :), I am guessing I did not balance it at all :mad:

Please help

You will know if the scope is balanced if you slacken off the right ascension clutch and have the scope over to one side, the counterweight bar horizontal and the weights on the other. With it in this position, and the clutch off, the bar should stay horizontal. A slight push up/down should get the swing to be "in balance". You can repeat in declination once you have the scope balanced in RA.

Don't forget to retighten the clutches. Without them biting, the motors will make a noise, but nothing will move :)

You will need all three of the counterweights if they are the 3kg type.

If you put your thumb at the top of the counterweight bar and slide the first weight up to it and then slide the other two weights up to the first it will be very close to being balanced.

You will need all three of the counterweights if they are the type supplied as standard with the mount.
Not necessarily - I was supplied 5.1kg counterweights with mine and 2 definitely did the trick.... The smaller 3.x kg ones will require 3...

Do I need to take into account OTA position on the mount? should the OTA be spot on in the middle?

It says on the manual that CG-5 can handle c11 :) . Is this misinformation ?

Start with balancing the OTA on the dovetail. Once that is done balance the OTA against the weights.

The CG5 cannot handle a C11

Start with balancing the OTA on the dovetail. Once that is done balance the OTA against the weights.

The CG5 cannot handle a C11

When you say start with balancing the OTA on the dovetail, what do you mean, I just cant picture this. do I need to balance the OTA WITHOUT couterweights on the mount?:)

Apologies for silly questions :)

It says on the manual that CG-5 can handle c11 :) . Is this misinformation ?
Define "handle". Yes, you can put it on, it will move and it will have some sort of pointing accuracy, but you will only need to touch the 'scope before the thing will start to resonate. Since moving from a CG-5 to a EQ6, the C9.25 is FAR more stable on the mount...

I think you could call a C11 on a CG-5 a "non-optimal" solution....

Define "handle". Yes, you can put it on, it will move and it will have some sort of pointing accuracy, but you will only need to touch the 'scope before the thing will start to resonate. Since moving from a CG-5 to a EQ6, the C9.25 is FAR more stable on the mount...

I think you could call a C11 on a CG-5 a "non-optimal" solution....

Thank you Arad85

The CG-5 manual is useless when it comes to set up with any particular OTA :)

hance so many questions :)

I balanced the OTA with counterweights and it moving freely RA and DEC, but when I use hadn controller RA axis is not moving:(. Dec axis is moving to one and another side ok.

What might be the problem with RA axis? I can hear the motor but it is not able to move the OTA.....:)

Can anyone help with this problem?

Archived