Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars: 3 Jan 2010

John

I've been getting some great views of Mars this evening with my 5" refractor. The scope is now fully cooled and I'm getting a really crisp view at 240x with my 5mm Nagler eyepiece.

The northern polar cap is very well defined and a number of dark markings are clearly discernable on the planets disk. A couple of features that are just suggested at in my views tonight but I'm not sure if they are there or not, are i) hints of darkening around the edges of the polar cap and ii) the slightest hint of a southern polar cap.

Has anyone who has been observing / imaging the planet very recently seen anything along the lines of i) and ii) above or am I mistaken ?.

Thanks

I'm watching right now from Poland :hello2: 6" newtonian and I managed to go to 300x first time. Between mini-clouds passing the view is superb, and there is a bit of darker landscape by the ice. Look at callsky or stellarium for comparison :)

I'm watching right now from Poland :hello2: 6" newtonian and I managed to go to 300x first time. Between mini-clouds passing the view is superb, and there is a bit of darker landscape by the ice. Look at callsky or stellarium for comparison :)

Good stuff :)

I managed to use 343x (!) with my refractor (3.5mm Nagler) and still get a decent image tonight - wonderful conditions but so cold ! - must be even more so in Poland I guess ....

Yes, there is a dark collar round the (north) polar cap, this shows up will in images.

The "southern polar cap" you're seeing is probably Hellas which is actually a bit darker than it usually is.

Thanks Brian :)

Lovely views of the red (orange) planet last night but probably the coldest conditions I've ever observed in - frost over everything (including me !) by the end of the session. Good fun though :hello2:

Mars was great last night. I observed from 23:45 to 02:00 UT with a short break for the "Sky at Night".

Starting off with my 76mm f/16, I could clearly see the North polar cap and dark band, Syrtis Major and Hellas at only 84x.

Then switched over to my Towa 339 80mm f/15 with binoviewers, and the view was stunning. It was so nice, I did not bother getting the larger 120mm scope out. Those Towa 339's really are a gem of a planetary scope. Even managed to see 3 bright craterlet spots in the crater Plato on the moon.

I been looking at Mars whenever I get the chance.

Last time, about a week ago, it hold 240x (the max mag I have on my current setup) very well. I could see the north polar cap very sharp, a dark region surrounding it, I think it's referred to as the collar.

I could also see 2 other dark regions that connected together near the south pole. One was very dark and wide, almost oval shape, and the other was a bit thin and elongated coming across the planet somewhat parallel to the south pole and connecting to the 1st one. On some pockets of good seeing a circular lighter patch was seen, which I suspect to be Olympus but I can't confirm that, and it was very hard to see at 240x (the planet is tiny at that mag) although conditions ware excelent.

For a test I tryed my 10mm + barlow and the details blurred out. There is no comparison to what the Ortho can show, although it's a bit less comfortable to use.

Archived