NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing Light

Bizibilder

I've just bought myself a light to illuminate my clipboard when observing. It is actually a musicians "reading light" and is designed to clip onto a music stand. It is well designed and throws a very even pool of light onto the clipboard that I use. The only mod I have made is to superglue a piece of red filter plastic over the bulb.

(I know I have seen a DIY version on this forum recently but I can't find it!!)

All in all a very useful £10 worth.

post-17157-133877417949_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
I've just bought myself a light to illuminate my clipboard when observing. It is actually a musicians "reading light" and is designed to clip onto a music stand. It is well designed and throws a very even pool of light onto the clipboard that I use. The only mod I have made is to superglue a piece of red filter plastic over the bulb.

(I know I have seen a DIY version on this forum recently but I can't find it!!)

All in all a very useful £10 worth.

Bizibilder,

Thanks for this post - which I have just stumbled across!! - I have just done a "Google" and there is quite a range of very useful lights which can easily be converted to astro use.

Mighty Bright MBD2 Xtraflex Deluxe Duet 2 Light: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

The model above looks to provide a really bright light without "hot spots" - but there are cheaper ones:-

Music Stand Light - Dual Head - 2x LED: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

Perhaps they would be better for astro use?

Has anyone tried either one or similiar - and are sturdy music stands a good option for supporting star maps??

As a beginner I have found trying to manage star maps and hand held red lights a real pain and the commercial LED one I have does not give an even light spread. I have tried the head light but I still find it awkward!!

the music Stand Light - Dual Head looks like an interesting find, thanks Nibor:)

Onlyme,

Thanks for the response - red nail varnish on the two lights (3 coats) worked very well - but the model I bought could have done with longer flexible stems - they are only about 7" long - but very helpful nevertheless!!

The stand is very sturdy!!

Robin

Archived