NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

solar activity - 1st Jan 2010

Mark at Beaufort

Its a new year and a new decade so what a start with a clear blue sky.

Just observed the sun with the PST and the William Optics SD66 with thousands oaks filter.

With the PST could observe a very nice prominence - top left plus 2 others on the right side of the sun. This is the PST directions so horizontal/verticall reversed. Also noted a very active region which when viewed in light light is a double sunspot.

This is a very nice double sunspot with additional structure on the left spot. Good photo opportunity. Have a look if you have the chance.

Nice to see some solar activity again. :hello2:

Mark

Hi Mark

I agree, todays sun viewed from Serbia, was a nice new year surprise, the atmosphere was kind to us.

I think when those sunspots reach the edge, tomorrow or Sunday they will produce a nice loop prominence.

Could you make out the double sunspot with the PST ?

Just curious as I have always meant to get myself one of those for traveling but never got around to it.

Best Regards

Carl

Obsession 12.5 with AN

TV (Renaissance ) 101

SM90 / BF10

Denk Standard

44.36 N, 20.17 E

Hello Carl. Yes when I viewed the sun with the PST I knew there were sunspots. After viewing in white light I went back to the PST for another detailed look. I could see the location of both sunspots as well as other structure around them. In fact a very pleasing view.

It looks as if we will retain the sun for several more days in the UK so I will continue to monitor the sunspots and any changes especially good prominences.

Mark

Could you make out the double sunspot with the PST ?

Just curious as I have always meant to get myself one of those for traveling but never got around to it.

You can detune the PST by twisting the ring at the base of the tube just above the "black box" at the back end of the scope, when you do so you get a presentation with a "smooth" surface similar to that you see in white light & the spots stand out dark, instead of the mottled surface with bright plages in the active areas that you get when the etalon is properly tuned. So you can use the PST for a shufty at the "white light" appearance when travelling as well as viewing in hydrogen alpha emission.

The only thing you need to be aware of is that the etalon in hydrogen alpha scopes is very susceptible to knocks, if bumped hard it will "decontact" & cease to work properly. A good travel case is essential if you're transporting a PST. If you can't be bothered to buy the "official" PST case, you could make from 5mm plywood a "coffin" to fit the foam from the cardboard box it came in, this will be just as good or even better than the "real thing".

2nd Jan - 14.00 - Just had another look at the double sun spot in Ha with the PST. There is a very bright 'filament' joining the 2 spots - I think that is the right term? There is incredible detail at and around these 2 spots and this filament is so detailed. I wish I was able to photograph through the PST and get the detail that one can see visually.

Mark

I took time out today to set up as soon as the sun had climbed above the hill. One of the horsey wo-men (geography teacher) was pleased to have a chance to look at sun spots. Unfortunately, I had too much to do during the few breif hours of daylight to spend very much time looking at the sun, but I'll always take the time to at least have a quick peek.

Archived