45 degrees?

Hi all,

Just set up my fathers Explorer 130P, and since we have the cloudiest cloudy sky even seen, we decided to make sure that the red-dot viewfinder and the scope were looking at the same thing. We pointed it to the local hospital, about 4 or 5 miles away, and could see right in the windows!!! The only thing is, the hospital was tilting anticlockwise about 40 degress or so. I can't for the life in me figure out what might cause this... does anyone know? (I know it doesn't matter too much for a star, but it's frustrating me!)

Thanks,

Craig.

I thought everything when viewed through a telescope were supposed to appear upside down.

Relative to ....?

With a Newtonian you tend to look into the EP from a strange angle, with is what's causing the apparent rotation. Line of eyes parallel to the axis of the tube & you should see a "normal" fully inverted image i.e. ^down, >left

Relative to ....?

With a Newtonian you tend to look into the EP from a strange angle, with is what's causing the apparent rotation. Line of eyes parallel to the axis of the tube & you should see a "normal" fully inverted image i.e. ^down, >left

Relative to things that are the right way up?

Just to confuse some more.

What would happen if i took the star diag out of my refractor and placed it into the EP holder/focuser of my reflector.Think i'll give it a go. If i aint back in 5 mins......call the cops.

RESULT:

EP of Dob at a completely stupid angle. Broken back/neck trying to use it. Not sure what orientation objects were at, I couldn't see anything through it (forgot to remove dust cap from scope AGAIN).

Dont try this at home kids. I do it so you dont have to.

Archived