Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Neptune

Phil Fargaze

With Jupiter as a pointer, I aimed the old scope at Neptune to wonder upon this distant world. My seeing wasn`t good because I was looking over the rooftops but managed to see the pale blue dot that is now our most distant planet. I managed to confirm a sighting in my 20x100 bins as well.

Well done, Phil. :D It's always looked a bit 'satiny' to me through the 8"SCT. Not quite diffuse, but definitely not a point-source like a star.

Paul, i've seen Uranus and Neptune using 7x35 bins. They were mere points of light with no detail, but very noticable. I can't remember what year it was, but they were both near the NE corner of CAP, and were fairly close together. :)

You bagged Neptune in 20X100s?. I had no idea that was possible. I'll have to get my 20X90s out and have a gander.

A handy trick is to get a print out showing the current location of the planet and fov, then you can match it up with what you are actually seeing.

Archived