Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Proper Session in a While - 15x70 - 18/12/09

JamesK

This being the first time I have got out under a clear sky for a while due to coursework / clouds / other things, I was quite pleased that the sky was dark and clear, and resolved to get the binos out at 8pm, even though it was FREEZING (Anyone observing regularly in the minuses, you have my respect, and my sympathy). ;)

For conditions, there was snow on the ground, and the pond had frozen over, a gentle but chilly wind, and quite a hish ammount of twinkling near the horizons. One or two low clouds passing over. Estimated naked eye limiting magnitude was about 5, maybe 5.5 at times. Light pollution not too bad round my area, but significantly worsened by what we might call "All-Out" Christmas lighting. :p

Anyway, the obvious first target was the Plaedies (M45), they stood out more than any other object with the naked eye and were therefore the easiest thing the find ever, except maybe the Moon. Six stars were easily visable with the naked eye and the cluster fitted almost perfectly into my approx. 4 degree FOV. The uniform blue colouration of the stars was a very pretty sight and I would estimate 50-70 resolvable stars throught the 15x70s. Still, as far as open clusters go I thing I prefer the Beehive (M38?) in spring, being more compact and subtle, but this cluster is a very close second and demonstrates the colouration of stars almost as well as Betelguese or Alberio.

I saw several bright satellites during my time out but because I had forgotten my watch and notepad to get positions down I cannot identify them!

Next up was M42, the Orion Nebula. Almost as easy to find as M45, this one. Appeared as a wisp almost seeming the eminate from a couple of stars in the star-rich "Orion's Sword" area. Fairly small at 15x but not at all faint, a very beautiful sight for an area of generic glowing gases! I do love what I'm looking at here i.e. more stars being formed. We need more stars. :) Anyway, I'm sure I picked up on the greenish hue TLAO said was offered by larger 'scopes, however it may have been wishfull thinking.

I also scanned the Cassiopeia Open Clusters for a good while, they were a lot nicer under the darker sky and the higher altitude offered by Winter, I think, compared to Summer, and I found it possible, and I found it possible to carefully scan the constellation on my own without the use of my map, and discover and enjoy the cluster rich constellation.

Session ender at nearly 11pm, due to lens fogging, me being tired, and my fingers being about to drop off despite the gloves. :D

Glad to get back out again, and maybe a few more times this week because I'm off for Christmas now! :D

Hi james sounds like you got a good session in, I've never managed to see the green hue to the orion nebula with my binos maybe i need to look harder. Star clusters are a real treat with binos especially the double cluster in cassieopia (however it's spelt!). :D

Great report, James. :) Glad you were able to get out.. wonderful choice of targets. I agree with you about the Beehive (M44 :D ).. lots of nice sparkle in that one. The Hyades in Taurus is lovely, too. Btw, i live way out in the country and can easily see a 'Christmas Nebula' hovering over the nearby towns every year, too. :D

Do you hand-hold the binos? The local craft shop here sells very thin sheets of foam rubber in one foot squares.. no idea what they're supposed to be used for, but with a bit of tape they do an excellent insulating job on the barrels of the binos.

Thanks guys for the comments, I will remember M44 seeing as its my favorite cluster lol.

Altough, I have my binos mounted most of the time, I will think about getting some of that foam rubber stuff... sure it would help!

Archived