NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First contact

yeti monster

Woo hoo! (as they say), Armed with my 30 quid 114 reflector, and spurred on by having seen the Orion nebular, I hunted down the double cluster between Cassie and Persius (NGC 884 & NGC 869 I think???????).

With the naked eye, and bad LP from Burnley direction, I could see nothing in this area, but with the aid of stellarium (which didn't quite feeze up the 'puter this time) I was able to aim the scope fairly acurately, and was rewarded with a very pleasant sight. Popping in and out to check what and where I was looking at, confirmed that I had located my NCGs (whatever they are-still learning new stuff, at my age, great!).

I'm really looking forward to more aperture in the future, and some better EPs.

Tonight I claim my first galaxy, M31 Andromeda galaxy, a faint fuzzy in the 114 scope, I managed to bag this first pop after estimating its position, again from stellarium. Afterwards I spent what felt like an hour, trying to pinpoint M33, Triangulum galaxy, but with so much LP, and everything sinking nearer to the horizon, I've decided to try earlier in the night, next opportunity.

I'm having a warm up and a brew, then maybe back out, but it is soooo cold tonight.

Congratulations!! :D Make sure to write it down in your logbook. (You are keeping one, right? :) )

Yes, M33 will need a darker sky, its' surface brightness is dim because of the size. Did you manage to pick out M32? It's a small elliptical galaxy nestled in the outskirts of M31. Not too far out, really.. check Stellarium. I doubt if you'd be able to pull in M110, it's another satellite galaxy of M31 and it's also faint.

How long will you be back home?

Hi Talitha, Yes I am keeping a log, I made up a spread sheet for the Messiers, which, no doubt, will become an "everything" log eventually.

I'll be looking for more around Andromeda when the LP is more favourable.

I've been back out and managed to locate M35 in Gemini, which wasn't too difficult and, eventually, M37 in Auriga (as recommended by Mark, above).

I hadn't realised just how bad the LP is around here, but I find that if I can spot a "fuzzy" with the binos, then I stand a good chance of pinning it down with the scope.

Also, I am learning my way around the constellations rather well, and nailing a faint grey smudge on a black background is soooo rewarding.

I've another 3 weeks at home yet, so fingers crossed for many more clear nights. i've had to drag myself in again as the cold is refusing to stay out of my boots (maybe another pair of socks and another hour or so..... oh decisions, decisions........

Well done on M35 and M37...M36/8 are near M37 so try moving up down left and right from M37...

M33 is very tough!

If you get out early try M15 the globular at the right end of Pegasus. Its just up and right of a pretty bright star so you might get it..

Mark

Archived