Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Opticron binoculars - Imagic TGA vs Aspheric WA

Hello,

I'm after a pair of 8x binoculars and I've read good things about both of these Opticron models, the Imagic TGA WP and the Aspheric WA. The imagics are twice the price of the aspherics, so my question is will I notice a big improvement in image quality? I can see that the imagics have better build quality (waterproof and 30 year warranty). Is that where most of the value lies?

Also, the aspherics have a wider field of view which is attractive, but not so much if the quality drops away from the centre.

I currently have some Nikon 10x50 Action's which I am pleased with, but I want something smaller and lighter that I can have round my neck all the time without getting in the way when I'm imaging.

Any comparisons between the two would be very welcome.

Mark

I have the imagic's and whilst they are, on the whole, very nice, the image away from the centre is not great. I haven't looked through the others but I would guess/ hope in a side by side you would see a noticeable difference. I would think waterproofing is a big plus unless you are a very very careful person....

OK, I went back and re-read all the threads I could find about these binoculars. Reading it all again, it seems that the aspherics are excellent value but the imagics are noticeably better quality. The other comparable option seems to be the Pentax PCF WP II. The imagics are smaller, which fits my requirements nicely.

So I've decided to get the Imagics. I've PM'd Steve from FLO to see if a discoiunt is available... no reply yet, I suppose it must be a busy time of year or something :D

Thanks for your comment kniclander.

I have IMAGIC TGA WP and find them excellent. Edge to edge sharpnes in mine is very good and color is also excellent. On top of that they are very durable looking and very comfy binos to use. They just seem to fit snugly in your hands.

• 2 years later...

Has anyone been able to compare these two side by side

I have been looking at getting 7 or 8x magnification for steadier image and wider FOV

Then started looking at 7x50 for large objective lens

But 7x50 has 7mm exit pupil and I am over 40 so 5mm would be better/brighter for me

hence considering 8x40 or 8x42

Then the issue of aspheric vs Imagic TGA WP

So is the Imagic worth £135 when the Aspheric sells for £67?

Archived