Another newbie new scope question

I have been observing thru binoculars for a couple of years and have now decided to buy a telescope.

I have a budget of £500-£600.

I've done a bit of research and come up with a Skywatcher 150 with EQ5 Synscan.

My interest is initially for lunar/planetry observations with the possibility of viewing closer DSO's.

Also would like to try a bit of photography later on.

I have several questions;

Is this the best entry level scope I can get for my money?

Could I get away with an EQ3 synscan or would I need the more stable EQ5?.

Where do you get a PSU (sounds daft but the online shop I've looked at doesnt seem to supply one)?.

Should I get a set of eyepieces and filters straight away or could get them later (when I've recovered from the Xmas spend frenzy!)?.

Are there any other scopes in the same price range I should look at?.

I know this is similar to many newbie questions but every one seems slightly different so would really appreciate any advice

Thanks

For photography you really should get the EQ5 or even the HEQ5/EQ6.

On the EPs you can do a fair bit of observing with the stock ones. Maybe add a barlow from the start to double the mag options, but I think it's always best to try things out then buying more stuff before you know what you really need. Usually I wouldn't even recommend a barlow from the start but with Mars on opposition in January you'll need a high mag around 200x to better observe it. It won't be so close for 3 years so it would be a shame to waste the chance.

I have 2 EPs and a barlow I never use due to impulse buying so think carefully and try out the gear. That extra cash I spent would be better used if I had bought a single quality EP.

A couple of 20Ah gel cell batteries and an electronic triple stage charger will definately look after your power needs. IMHO, More cost effective than the powerpack in the long run.

Go for the best mounting you can....

An ED80 on HEQ5 would be a good step up from bino's....

For DSO photography the mount is the most important piece of equipment. It needs to be stable and to track accurately, HEQ5 or EQ6. For planetary or lunar photography the EQ5 would be a better choice than the EQ3-2 anyway as it can be used for larger telescopes in the future.

Most astro dealers sell portable power supplies known as powertanks. These are deep cycle batteries of 7Ah or 17Ah capacity (the 17Ah would be a better buy). Car jump-start batteries or leisure batteries can also be used.

For a mains psu you need a device of 11-15V DC (tip-positive) with a continous rating of 2A minimum. Most astro dealers should stock these (eg ModernAstronomy)

Peter

Thanks for the advice, will think about the mount, getting an HEQ5 will add £250 but on the other hand dont want to skimp on the mount now and end up buying a heavier mount later on. i guess it makes sense to spend on the mount and if anything upgrade the tube later as its the cheaper bit of kit. Prefer the idea of buying kit that I can add to rather than replace.

Think I'll initially get a mains PSU as will be using in the garden and later on think about a portable PSU, it seems reasonably easy to cobble together some kind of Heath Robinson thing with bike batteries and a charger.

Good point about the eye pieces and filters. Maybe get one to start with bearing in mind Mars in January. What kind of size would be good to start off with? Also, as regards to the tube what would be a better option , 150P or 150PL? I sort of assumed that the 150PL would be better for lunar/planetry stuff (thats what the advert suggests), is this correct?

Once again thanks for the advice.

Archived