NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepieces for a NexStar 6SE

Hullo all,

I've been doing some research for a while now on a first telescope, and after much deliberation I've decided to go for a NexStar 6SE.

The next dilemma I have is which eyepieces to consider as a first addition to the scope.

I've seen the sets from Celestron and Revelation which give a good selection of eyepieces, barlow and filters, but I don't know if they will be of sufficient quality to last, or whether I'd find them limiting within 6 - 12 months. Alternatively, is it better to spend the same money on one or two higher quality pieces. I've also considered the Hyperion 8-24mm Zoom as a flexible alternative.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to use any of them, so I'd very much appreciate any views / advice.

Cheers, Dug

At f10 your SE6 will be OK with EP's that faster (less than f6) scopes would have problems with.

The EP sets should be fine and give you filters as well.

I have a Seben 8-24 which is quite good and the up market zooms were reviewed in Sky at Night in the last couple of months. That review is worth reading.

A word of warning. It doesnt matter what you buy in the EP line you will always want the best and wont be able to afford them LOL

I think you got 2 options:

1) buy a set so you can experiment.

2) buy better quality specific EPs.

Since the 6SE is a slow scope (high focal ratio f/10) the sets should perform well and let you experiment. It also brings that nice case and all the filters so it's probably the best option.

If you go for option 2 you should add a decent barlow to it to double any EP and get the most out of it. Don't be cheap on the barlow, I was and mine is useless!

So with the 25mm you'll have 60x and 120x when barlowed.

You should add a lower mag EP for DSOs, such like a 38mm EP to give 40x and

80x when barlowed. On a slow scope like yours I would recommend this one that haves a good quality/price ratio (I own 3 of them, it's the same as the Orion Q70's with a deferent brand printed on).

Then a 10,5mm planetary EP for 143x and 285x when barllowed. University Optics make the best (cheap) planetary EPs around. They have a 10,5mm. The field of view on this EPs is small, but the contrast and detail make them one of the best on planets/moon. link is here. It's The University Super Abbe Orthoscopic model.

Don't ruh into buying anything yet!

Get the scope first, get used to it and get used to the EPs that come with it before you do anything else.

I wouldn't bother too much with spending hundreds on a EP. You can pick up some real bargins here and on Astro Buy and Sell, without having to fork out a fortune. 2nd had is always the way to go with EPs.

Zoom EPs are handy to have, but they are not as good as single size EPs used with a Barlow.

Thanks all.... definitely some good advice there.

I think I'll get used to the scope first and have a play with the EP it comes with before I rush out and buy anything else.

Famous last words....!

Archived