NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 6946 & NGC 6939 in Cygnus

russ

Hi All,

I managed to get out Saturday night for what i was hoping would be an all night session. Unfortunately it is was a crummy old night. Sky was murky and dirty, just full of muck. Transparency was 3/10 at best. I decided to carry on regardless but wish i hadn't.

Took the time to level and balance the mount. The GOTO was working like a charm. But for some reason it decided it couldn't be bothered to track. But it wasn't until i checked the images on the PC the next day that i realised just how badly off the tracking was, oh and my focus. A night to forget!

Out of the 30 images I took of NGC6946 and NGC6939, only 7 were useable and on any other day i would have discarded the entire lot.

So here we are, 7 x 90secs. Canon 10D prime focus on the ED80, all mounted on the LXD75. ISO1600 and Baader Neodymium filter.

NGC6939 is a beautiful dense open cluster and lies just a very short distance from NGC6946. NGC6946 is an equally beautiful face on spiral galaxy of mag 9.7. You can just see the spiral arms in the image, may need a bit of imagination for this one. Will be trying this object again at the first chance i get. Would be absolutely fantastic with a good number of images to stack.

image.jpg

Russ

Not as bad as you think it is Russ! I'de be happy with that one hehe. And I CAN see the spiral arms in NGC6946! You might even be able to process out some of the trailing but another go over the next few nights is a better idea. The weather forcast here says hot hot hot, which usually means clear nights... Although im about to place an order for a 102SLT as my CG5 has just gone through the door into parcel forces (less than ) careful hands. Im fully expecting rain, thunder and lightening here in Stoke dispite the rest of the country having 35*C weather!

Thanks Gordon. Fully intend to try again either tonight or tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

You are going to love the SLT judging by how much Rob is raving about his.

Russ

Archived