Astro Laser

As a beginner could anyone sugest a good astro laser pointer,

I have seen lots on ebay but dont want to waist my money, so looking for some advice, its mainly to help my daughter to see what stars are and where.

She is only young but has expressed an intrest in astronamy, so i intend to grow her intrest.

I can't recommend a specific brand (I think most are generic anyway). A green laser pointer of 5mW output is ok. Unfortunately they don't work in cold weather and also tend to get misused (pointing them at aircraft etc). I own one but I can't remember when I used it last. You might be better off purchasing the book Turn Left at Orion which is probably one the best books for budding astronomers

Peter

I looked into getting a laser when I first got my scope, but I have since come to the conclusion that the visual finderscope is much better, especially when combined with turn left at orion & stellarium.

Also if you get a laser you have to be very aware of flight paths over your area or you could get into a lot of trouble (one of the reasons i ruled one out, i'm under one of the corridors the military use a lot) as well the problem that kids dont always give lasers the respect they deserve and can see them as toys, which can have dangerous consequences.

& yes I do believe that 5mw is the highest legal limit a member of the public can own without risking serious trouble.

EDIT: So my advice would be to get a good finderscope or maybe a telrad. Get along to a group nearby and see whats used by the members, i bet most will at least let you have a look through them and be very willing to impart their advice. I was very surprised at how open the members were of the group I went along to when I got started.

Archived