NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bailly

jgs001

Been having a play with the QHY5v on the moon tonight. I setup the Skymax 102 on the HEQ5 and shot a mosaic... It's going to take a long time to process that... watch that space over there... In the meantime, I also had a play with using the Celestron 2x barlow... I'm not convinced I got everything right, but the seeing was pretty poor, so I think I was lucky to get what I did.

bailly-x2.jpg

For some reason... Regi5 used nearly all 2000 frames, I don't know why... :icon_eek: It's using Gradient 2 and 95 %... which I always thoughts was quite a strict setting...

Regi5 used nearly all 2000 frames, I don't know why... :icon_eek: It's using Gradient 2 and 95 %... which I always thoughts was quite a strict setting...
Don't just use the quality cutoff, drag the slider along the bottom to select the number of frames you want. If you shot 2000 frames, 800 is probably enough to stack. With the Moon, it's bright so I usually wind the gain down, shoot 500-600 frames & stack 150-200 - that's enough for a "smooth" result when the gain is low.

I'm not following you Brian. I guess I've missed an option setting somewhere. I don't have a marker on the slider that I can drag in to limit the number of frames.

Thanks Karlo. I did try with a pair of x2 and a x5... that just wasn't going to work...

Quality is misleading, I'd say it tells more about steadiness of seeing than the overall quality of data. You can have all frames with 90+% quality, but they are all bad (fast jet stream that blurs the image, bad focusing, bad collimation).

As Nick Smith said in another thread - try using as little gain as possible and then stack 50-100 frames. For mosaics at 2350mm I usually record 600 frames and then stack 50 per alignment point.

I don't have a marker on the slider that I can drag in to limit the number of frames.

On the "align" page there is a slider running the whole,width of the page just above the bottom. After aligning - when you can change the value in the "limit" box - you can pull the slider left or right, in fact you'll see the slider move when you change the "limit" value. You get much better control by pulling the slider yourself. You can see how many frames will be selected alongside the "frames" caption just below the bar (at the extreme bottom middle of the page).

Is Regi5 better than Regi4?

Some people - with particular models of one-shot colour cameras - appear to have issues with v5. However I find the large frame / large file handling in v5 much, much better and the new alignment options appear to work better for me. YMMV. At any rate it doesn't cost any real money to try, just your time.

Thanks Brian. I took a few shots with the webcam on the Megrez 90 last night just because I had the webcam in for the drift aligning using WCS. It was fun! And having just bought SteveL's C11 I'm looking forward to trying some more. At least with lunar you don't need hours of clear skies.

I'll download and give it a go.

Helen

Archived