NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

newbie here!

Hi everyone! A little background first, always been interested in the night sky from an early age but never took the plunge to buy a scope until recently. Last may we bought a house in the middle of nowhere in northern France, I was blown away by the night sky, the milky way was so clear to the unaided eye it was unbelievable, I had to get a scope! I realise that aperture is king but getting all the equipment in the car for the long trip to the house is queen, so I've recently bought a Tal 120 which I'm more than happy with! Enough rambling, so far I've only used the tal out of a window in our flat in bedford, but I can still get good detail on the moon and make out a couple of bands on Jupiter, my question probably isn't simple, but should I expect to see more detail when we are in France?

Sorry if the formatting is a bit rubbish, writing this on my phone, cheers!

Welcome to the forum. I have no experience with the scope but I rather suspect where planets are concerned the answer is no - you wont see much more detail as they are very bright objects.

Where you will get a lift from a dark sky location is deep space objects like nebula.

if you look out the window, i will say you will probably get better details on planets and moons to, as there will be distrotion from the warm air in the house going out the window.

a cooled down scope outdoors should give better views.

alfi

Can I just confirm something please by "cooled down scope" is that where you leave your scope outdoors for about half an hour before using it so it can set to outdoors tempreture? I'm still kind of a newbie ya see :headbang:

Yep thats it. Small scopes need little cool down time. Larger ones need more - some as much as 2 hours to perform at their best.

John

Archived