NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polar Aligning - OTA Position!

Hi all, an Alex blind spot again! I'm sure I've asked this in the mists of time but still not too sure!

After I've polar aligned my HEQ5 mount using the reticule, with the OTA positioned so the date and time scales are set to my viewing time, do I just swing my OTA back to a rough park position or set the scope to 'park' - would it know where? Or do I go straight to three star align with my OTA at the odd angle? What do you do?

Sometimes my scope aligns well and three star aligns OK and sometimes it doesn't and I'm sure there's a tiny thing I'm doing wrong!

Alexxx

Setting the date and time on the circles only achieves getting the little circle representing polaris in the polarfinder to be in the correct position relative to north celestial pole. Once you've adjusted the alt/az screws to get polaris in that little circle, the centre of the polar scope is on NCP, so you swing around the RA/dec axis as much as you like, you're polar aligned.

The autoaligment proceedure assumes that your scope is the home positon, pointing roughly to NCP with counterweights down, when it is initiated.

I think.

Archived