Problem connecting laptop to "network over wire"

I have a HomePlug network over wire set up with my desk top, roaming laptop and observatory laptop all connected. The desk top and observatory have tight VNC so that I can control the obsy from the house. It has all worked very well.

I bought a new Sony Vaio laptop earlier this year which came pre-installed with Vista (horrible). It wouldn't run focusmax and was unstable using ImageSource software for my DMK. It doesn't lend itself to switching over to XP - apperently every single driver has to be changed!

So I have now installed Windows 7 pro with XP compatability mode. Everything was going fine, including focusmax without using the XP mode. It installs the Power Packet utility for network set up but the computer isn't finding the adaptor. The ethernet connection light on the adaptor is on. I can bring up the house computer desktop but I cannot bring up the new computer desktop from the house.

Sorry, this is a bit long winded. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Martin, you shouldn't need to install any drivers to use the powerline adatpers. They are only useful for diagnostics. I'm not using any drivers at the mo, and in fact I've got an ethernet switch plugged into my powerline adapter. What do you get if you run ipconfig ... I can give you a quick call if you like.. PM me your phone number.

I`m a bit confused here Martin. Does the new laptop have internet access? Can it access anything else?

Are you saying that the ethernet adapter built into the laptop isnt working ("It installs the Power Packet utility for network set up but the computer isn't finding the adaptor") or that you cant connect to the new laptop remote desktop ("I can bring up the house computer desktop but I cannot bring up the new computer desktop from the house")?

Thanks guys. John (jgs001) has solved it all. I'm not quite sure what he did but something along the lines of configuring a permanent IP address. Brilliant. I owe him big time.

SGL is a wonderful place!

Twas an IP addressing problem. The VNC config was pointing to the old Laptop, that I think must have had a fixed IP address. The new laptop had full connectivity, but VNC wasn't addressing it. I've walked Martin through adding a DHCP reservation on his router, so the new laptop will always get the same IP address, and VNC is set to address that directly.

Archived