Hello everyone

Hello from Oklahoma, I am a newbie and looking for my first telescope. I was thinking of the Orion SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian because it fits into my $400.00 budget. Would that be a good choice or should I keep looking?

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom - welcome to SGL !.

I agree with Peter and Micks's views - the Orion XT8 is a great scope - possibly one of the best value / aperture / ease of use combinations out there.

I had a Skywatcher 200P dobsonian for a while and really enjoyed it - for the cost it was optically very nice and served up great views of a wide range of astro objects.

At F/6 focal ratio it's not too fussy about eyepieces and keeps it's collimation (the alignment of the 2 mirrors) well.

Regards,

John

Thanks so much for the help it looks like all of you have talked me into the 8" Dob. for Christmas. Very nice website of your club Peter, the photos are great! If I remember Lancashire is up North. I have been to London and my Grandfather was from Portsmouth.

Archived