Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bresser Messier N-130

Hi,

I need some advice on getting a second hand scope for a newbie. I have been looking at numerous new telescopes, but just noticed this on Ebay.

Bresser Messier N-130 telescope on eBay (end time 29-Oct-09 09:18:06 GMT)

It looks nice, apart from that I dont really know whether its going to be suitable for me.

1. Is the Bresser suitable for someone that has barely used a telescope before?

2. What is the telescope in the link actually worth?

Thanks for any help help you can give.

Mark

Well it seems to have just gone for £150, which isn't too bad a price (did you win?)

Bresser seem to be an underrated make of scope. The ones that I've come across have been pretty good beginners scopes.

Well it seems to have just gone for £150, which isn't too bad a price (did you win?)

Bresser seem to be an underrated make of scope. The ones that I've come across have been pretty good beginners scopes.

No I didnt win. blumming ebay would not let me put a bid in. Oh well its either an Explorer 130 or the Skyhawk 1145PM. I have tried to call FLO today, but I think the Flu symptons they had the other day have now taken hold as I cannot get an answer.

Im like a five year old again when I look at the moon. I cannot wait to pack away my binoculars and use my own telescope.;)

Mark

er, but you can buy a new skywatcher explorer for less... (unless I've missed something ;))

Reflectors

I know, but there was something about the bresser I liked. I was a bit dubious about buying from Ebay anyway. As the guy could have told me anything and I would not relaised if anything was wrong until maybe months later.

Oh well.

I know, but there was something about the bresser I liked. I was a bit dubious about buying from Ebay anyway. As the guy could have told me anything and I would not relaised if anything was wrong until maybe months later.

Oh well.

fair enough. good luck finding one you like.

No I didnt win. blumming ebay would not let me put a bid in. Oh well its either an Explorer 130 or the Skyhawk 1145PM. I have tried to call FLO today, but I think the Flu symptons they had the other day have now taken hold as I cannot get an answer.

Im like a five year old again when I look at the moon. I cannot wait to pack away my binoculars and use my own telescope.;)

Mark

Erm... Glad you didn't win. I read a lot before buying my 1st scope recently and found a lot of bad things about the optics quality on Bressers.

I would definitely go for a NEW Skywatcher for the same price or less. They have a good reputation. I only bought an Orion instead because I read even better reviews, and it was within my budget.

Phew, thanks goodness for that! £150 is too much for that scope, in reality. I was just treading carefully in case you had won.

Bresser are pretty good, if underrated scopes.

are you in the diplomatic service? :(

it is funny that someone would pay more for a secondhand scope than the equivalent new one but you see it quite a lot on ebay. is there really much to choose between bressers, skywatchers etc?;)

No, I believe they're much of a muchness, just that people seem to prefer SW for some reason.

I'm too good for my own good! I'd hate to say to someone, 'Hey, you paid waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for that!'

are you in the diplomatic service? :p

it is funny that someone would pay more for a secondhand scope than the equivalent new one but you see it quite a lot on ebay. is there really much to choose between bressers, skywatchers etc?;)

You are right. A lot of people are selling scopes on Ebay for more than you can buy them brand new. The mad thing is people are actually buying them.:(

With astro equipment, I believe you should only buy from e.bay if you know exactly what you are doing. That scope would have been an OK buy for £100 but not any more than that. The "Buy it now" price of £175 was a bit of a joke IMHO.

I regularly scour the e.bay astro listings but 90% of the stuff on there I would not touch with a barge pole - and to spot the 10% good stuff you have to know what you are looking for so it's not a good place for beginners I'm afraid.

John

Archived