NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Satellite or meteor?

Hi all,

Looking through my data (trying to capture Andromeda on a fixed tri-pod), there was a streak across three of the photos (all 10 sec exposures). Attached is the combined images, from Startrails.

post-16339-133877407039_thumb.jpg

How can one tell if it is a meteor or a satellite?

(PS: You could probably calculate its velocity...)

Image is cropped. Taken with a Canon 1000D with a Canon 50mm f1.8 EF Mk II prime lens on fixed tripod (1600ISO/1.8f/10sec).

Looking at the image, it looks like it's probably an Iridium flare... I can't tell what direction that was heading in from the image, but it looks sort of north/south which would confirm the liklihood of an Iridium

Well, it's taken 30 seconds to go across the cropped picture. I've never seen a meteor move that slowly... In addition, it starts dark, brightens then fades. My conclusion would be a satellite...

Yeah, that makes sense. The ones I've seen, are just brief flashes, mayb half a second long.

Would a meteor show up equally bright along its trajectory when captured on a photo?

Looking at the image, it looks like it's probably an Iridium flare... I can't tell what direction that was heading in from the image, but it looks sort of north/south which would confirm the liklihood of an Iridium

It goes from South to North, looking at the photos...

That'll be an Iridium flare... If you know what time that was (should be in the image EXIF data) then if you sign up to heavensabove, you can check as to exactly which flare it is you captured.

27th of October at 17:47, and I'm at 60N/11E.

From Heavens Above it seems likely to me to be the Cosmos 2333 rocket booster. Seems to have been tracking to the east of Andromeda at the time, from your location. A bit faint at mag 4. but then the track is faint too.

/callump

From Heavens Above it seems likely to me to be the Cosmos 2333 rocket booster. Seems to have been tracking to the east of Andromeda at the time, from your location. A bit faint at mag 4. but then the track is faint too.

/callump

Wow, I'm impressed :icon_eek: I must learn to use that site. Also, love the chart you posted. Looks like it's the right one.

Archived