First Impressions and advice needed

Hi all.

I bought my Skywatcher 150PL and EQ3/2 Mount a couple of weeks ago and have been waiting to use it, but haven't been able to because of clouds (sorry, that was me!)

Last night I got to use it properly but I came across a few problems. Please help becuase I'm a but disappointed in some ways.

I pointed the leg on the tripod with the "N" on it towards Polaris to roughly polar align it, is this right? Also, I set the degree thingy (sorry), on the stand to 51 degrees as I live inr Sheffield, I think this is right for where I live.

I then strapped the scope in and thats where the problems started. Every time I wanted to turn around to look for a new object, I couldn't. The scope wouldnt line up right unless I moved the stand or twizzled the tube around in its holding rings which I know isnt right, but I thought I'd done what I was supposed to by Polar Aligning and setting the degree setting on the stand, what am I doing wrong?

I let the scope cool down for an hour before I used it and am very careful with my eyepieces. I used the supplied eyepieces and started to look for objects. I found Jupiter, the Pleadies, Andromeda, M2. I was really pleased to have found these objects but I couldn't seem to focus right most of the time, Jupiter was very blurry and I had to be VERY precise on the viewfinder to get the image even approaching sharp. I tried to use the barlow but it deteriated the detail alot so I dont want to use it again. I'm probably making it sound worse than it was but I was disappointed not to get a semi clear image of some of these objects, alot were just very fuzzy grey blobs. I realise that I'm not going to see magazine images, but I expected a bit more clarity what with it being a nice dark night where I live (nr lots of fields) Stars however are always just about sharp when I focus on them, sorry for being vague.

I want to check my scopes collimation and have read Astrobabys giude which is very informative but I'm still confused as to what I need and how to get going in checking my scope is set up right. BTW, Astrobaby's site is great!

So to summarise, I cant set my stand up right, my scope might be set up wrong, I suspect my eyepieces might suck (please suggest alternatives for me) I set my expectation quite realistically but I'm now feeling very stupid and a bit demoralised. Don't even get me started on mounting my Canon SLR, I daren't ask!

Please help me Stargazers....you're my only hope....

An equatorial mount moves in two directions when the locks are off. Left / right which is Declination axix and round the polar axis which is Right Ascension axis. Here is a link to moving the scope

The position of the eyepiece will change depending where you point the telescope.

The eyepieces with the scope are ok for staring out you can upgrade if you want later.

Jupiter is low in the sky any pollution / heat haze off buildings, etc. will make the image look poor.

Hope this helps

Mike

Hi there,

I would not be too despondent, EQ mounts are tricky, I'm 3 months in and still have issues with mine!

Andromeda and M2 will look like fuzzy grey blobs, as will most DSOs. AS your eyes get more tuned into looking at these objects you will begin to see more differences in them. For instance Andromeda has a definite oval shape and a brighter core. M2 will be a tighter shape, and over time your eyes will train themselves to perhaps pick out more detail.

Using more magnification for these objects also do not always help, they just make the fuzzy blob fill more of the view and drift out of view easier.

Alot of people here will swear by averted vision too (where you do not look at the object directly, and instead focus on the edge of the FOV, this can bring out more detail) I am currently working on this with mixed results, but I'm sure my little brain will train itself up.

I've spent countless evenings looking at just M31 as it fascinates me and last night I got the best view of it ever, and I believe that this was down to both the clear cold sky and the fact I've put alot of time viewing it, so my head and eyes can start eeking out some of the finer points.

As for Jupiter, it is a bit of a mixed bag. Some nights I can get the view in great, see two bands and the four main moons. Other nights its tricky to even keep it in some kind of focus.

It's just too low at the mo (wow Rhyming skills).

Anyway try and keep cheerful and just keep getting out there, it does become easier, and you'll be amazed of how much knowledge you pick up. Like I say i'm only 3 months in, but now I cannot believe how much i've learnt informally from both these boards and just toying about with my equipment.

Good luck!

Hi

sounds like you polar aligned ok. Did you remember to release the two locks on the scope when trying to move the scope - one is above the altitude dial (what you called the degree thing) and the other is nearby. I know when I first set mine up I had the same problem till I realised I had to have both released. Once you get the scope pointing in the area you want then lock the locks and use the slow controls to find what you want. Also did you balance the scope?

The 25mm eyepiece is ok, i found the 10mm not very good. Sounds like you got the same Barlow I did which is not a good one.

Clear Skies

P.S a link I found very useful here

Rob

Hi,

Okies - polar aligning is about setting the mount to Polaris rather than the scope. I know that sounds weird but thats how it is.

Your bang on with facing the polar leg north (assuming the mount head fits on that way) and then dialing in 51' on the dongle thing (its called the altitude adjuster by the way ;) ).

After that you point the scope using the Declination (DEC) and Right Ascencsion (RA) Axis.

This move the scope in a kind of X shape where / is the RA and \ is the DEC. Thats the best way I can explain it in words.

EQ mounts can be a bit weird at first but you will see the logic witha bit of practice. All Newtonian scopes can end up with the EP in a strange position at times. Thats when you raotate the tube in its rings to get the EP to a better position.

Hope thats of some small help - might I suggest having a good old play around in daylight to get yourself really familiar. Theres nothing worse than tring to learn stuff in the dark and cold. It can all get a bit frustrating.

Trust me - in no time at all you'll be getting the hang of it.

Don't forget that the scale on the altitude adjuster isn't always that accurate either! Get polaris centered and you'll be ok. I have two mounts which need to be at 52 and 56 degrees respectively from my 51 degrees north to get polaris centered.

assuming you did move it on the 2 axis the business about "twizzing" the scope in it's rings is fairly normal on a newt to get the eyepiece where you can actually use it but you should be able to lline the scope its self up without having to alter it's position in the tube, it's just that sometimes with an eq mount the eyepiece will end up at the most inconvenient angle imaginable

Sounds like you just need practice with the equipment rather than there being anything wrong with the equipment itself. As for the barlow - give it another shot, I find it works great with the 25mm EP supplied (but not with the 10mm). You do need to be very precise when focussing, you can soon shoot past the point of focus and back out of focus.

Archived