NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What am I missing?

Demonperformer

OK, people who know me could write reams in answer to that question, but specifically on this occasion ...

I don't understand my celestron neximager.

I do understand that it has severe limitations in only being able to go to 1/5 second shutter exposures and having a fairly small chip, and so I am not going to get the Horsehead Nebula [or even the rest of M42] from my front garden.

However, it will image the moons of Jupiter at mag 6 [no surface detail, you understand, just points of light]. They show up on the preview screen great. So why, when I turn the telescope from doing that straight to Albireo [mags 3 & 5], on the same settings that have captured these moons, is it incapable of seeing it? I know it is a Lunar and Planetary imager and Albireo is neither a moon nor a planet. But the imager doesn't know that. Surely, all it knows is that a certain amount of light is arriving on its chip. And if Albireo is mags 3 & 5 compared to mag 6, that should mean more light and so a better image???? What does it know that I don't?

So, is there anyone out there who can explain to me what I am missing, 'cos it's driving me bonkers.

Thanks.

DP

This is going to sound awfully blunt... Apologies in advance.

If you have captured the moons of jupiter but cannot "see" the double star Albireo - you haven't managed to get it on the chip...

I used to have an immense issue in getting the object I wanted located on the chip. Many a night I gave up without actually getting what I wanted onto the chip.

When looking at a known object on the laptop screen (like jupiter) make sure that the finder is SPOT ON. Then move and centre Albireo on the cross hairs - I find that shining a torch onto the finder objective (not straight down, but sideways) illuminates the cross hairs and enables me to centre things perfectly.

This might help...

Good Luck

Ant

Ant

Many thanks for this ... makes sense that it is me rather than the imager.

Maybe I will try a few easier [i.e brighter], albeit less impressive, doubles and get some practice. Always did want to run before I could walk.

It seems to me that you came straight to the point, and therefore almost by definition were not being blunt:)

Thanks again.

DP

Archived