Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

skywatcher explorer 300 black line advice

hi guys

im looking to maybe get a SW explorer 300mm newton.

are there anuone that uses it, and what are your experiences with it?

i have been recommended a orion 300mm newt, but the price here is twice the price of the SW, is it really so much better?

i understand that the mirrors in the orion are of higher quality then the SW, is this something i would actually notice in use?

hope someone have som good advice on this.

alfi

I did consider one of these, but as it would not be permanently set up, I was advised against it.

It is very heavy and pretty awkward if you are going to set up every night, it will need to go on your EQ6 mount ( I think they now do an NEQ6 mount) for this OTA

What about a 300mm Dob instead?

Allan

hi

i would have gone for a dob if i didnt want the possibility of imaging.

i have been given the same advice as you got, it is a bit to big for my use.

i have now set my eyes on the 250mm f/4.8 version of the orion spx.

i like the fact that the optics are of a better quality then the SW, and it would probably satisfy my needs for a long time.

alfi

hi

yes im looking at orion UK.

my thinking is that since orion guarantees double the smoothness that SW does, it may be noticable at high mags, and when imaging, or am i wrong in assuming this?

the focuser also seems to be ok, while the SW focuser, in my experience, is not.

alfi

hi

i have read some of the threads on orion uk now, and seems like they had some quality problems before, but that they have fixed this now.

i could always get my scope-pusher to check it over before shipping it to me, so that dosent worry me.

what are peoples impressions on the focusers they ship with, havent found much on that?

alfi

Archived