NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ6, Skywatcher 80ED DS-Pro, and wooden legs

jonathan

Hi,

I've been reading very favourable reviews of EQ6 mounts, but also about how wooden legs help to aid stability. I'm wondering, therefore, whether it is possible to get an EQ6 mount with wooden legs or if this is just a wild goose chase.

The SkyWatcher Evostar-80ED DS-Pro has attracted me for it's apparent ease of use, fantastic potential for imaging (if I have read the captions on those lovely nebula and galaxy images correctly), and steady performance all round. This would also be my first scope, but as I am often easily disappointed I thought it best to aim high from the start. Does this telescope require any maintenance, adjustment (e.g. collimation) on a regular basis as I have been reading about reflectors and newtonians?

How water resistant are tripods? Do all of the electronics come off in case I want to leave the tripod set up in the same place? Would it likely take any damage from prolonged exposure to the elements?

What are they like for getting spare parts?

Thanks in advance!

I've an EQ6 with an ED80, more than stable with the metal legs, so wouldn't worry too much about finding wooden ones.

The ED80 is a 3.1" scope, therefore for visual use it will lack the light grasp of a bigger apeture scope, for example an 8" Newtonian.

The ED80 won't require any collimation (unless you screw bits off, but that's another story ;)) unlike reflectors, but even this is not difficult so that shouldn't put you off.

I carry my mount/tripod in and out at night, and attach the OTA and weights once it's roughly polar aligned. I wouldn't bother removing the mount from the tripod each night, and leaving the tripod out alone, as isn't much of an advantage really as it's light anyway, and will be knocked from position when you remove and add the mount on top.

I weighed my EQ6 mount the other day, and it is almost 16kg. Not the most portable, but easily manageable in and out at night,

As for spare parts, there should be plenty about as the EQ6 is a very popular mount.

Hope this helps

Adam

Archived