Er... The smaller cap in the telescope tube cap

Okay, I almost feel a bit silly asking this, but what exactly is the smaller aperture in the middle of a Newtonian telescope cap used for? Clearly it lets in less light, but what's the effect of this? Is it essentially a crude moon filter, or does it actually change the aperture and so alter the f/ ratio?

As you say it changes the F ratio by reducing the aperture. It's called am aperture mask, it will add more contrast to planets etc as it removes the central obstruction out of the equation.

I don't know why they still do this!

It's a throw back to the 1960's when you used Herchel wedges and ND filters to view the Sun. This reduced the aperture to a "safe" size!!!

Nowadays as a means of reducing light it's sometimes used as a moon filter ( with reduced resolution!) I suppose you could fit the aperture with a piece of Baader solar film and still use it for the Sun.

I originally thought it was a little hole to put ones finger in to gently pull the main cap off lol !!

I soon found out from this forum that thats not the idea haha !

Ha ha - that's what I use it for on mine:D

Archived