Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW AZ Synscan GOTO speed

Dear All,

I have recently bought a Merlin Synscan AZ GOTO mount (very similar to SW AZ GOTO Synscan). The firmware is version 03.03. I know that it is possible for me to change the slewing rate when I manually control the mount but does anyone know if it is possible to alter it when the mount GOTOs an object? The reason I ask is that it appears to GOTO at full speed, which is rather loud and disturbs my neighbours in the early hours. It would be great if I could slow it down.

Thanks for any help,

Nick

I don't believe you can change the slewing speed in GOTO mode, but if you know roughly where you are going to GOTO, you could manually slew at a slower rate to get near, then let GOTO do the final adjustment.

Mike,

That is a touch of genius! You know when you've been playing around for ages with settings (i.e. banging head against wall) and devising all types of contraptions to block noise (i.e. padded tea-chests), you miss the wood for the trees. You've just pointed out the wood to me!

Even so, I notice when my mount moves from left to right it's really quiet, however, it's the up and down movement (sorry, I get confused trying to use techincal terms) that is really loud. You don't have anyway other tips to deal with that or fix do you?

Thanks again for help,

Nick

I hadn't noticed that the up and down (altitude) motion was particularly loud on my mount. Is yours loud even at slow speeds? Maybe the mechanics, motors and gearing are different to the SW mount, although I wouldn't have thought so.

You know what Mike, I have the Merlin multi-function mount as well and that is much quieter in altitude. So, reckon it is just bad luck of the draw. Real shame as I don't have much of an idea about what to do with it. Doesn't really seem a thing you can return with either. However, you're idea will at least cut the noise right down.

Cheers,

Nick

Mine's the Skywatcher mount. I suspect the mechanical design is different enough between the Merlin and Skywatcher mounts to make the noise difference.

Your neighbours must have very good hearing!

Now on my second mount, I sense the MOTORS are rather "variable" in characteristic - as is the lubrication etc. I find the general GoTo concept can be improved by using Stellarium (and Stellarium scope) via a Laptop. The latter software has a ultility with scroll buttons and a CHOICE of slewing rate. SO all this is indeed possible... :)

Aside: I have found the investment in researching the above worth while - GUIDANCE on software setup is available on SGL (Thanks!). One of the GoTo limitations is that I (for one!) have not memorised the various catalogue numbers, and it's much easier to just point to an object on screen... and moreover, the default slew rate is LOWER. :D

Macavity,

Thanks for good suggestion, however, I have now realised there is another floor in the plan in that whilst I might be able to slow down slewing rate in GOTO, it appears that I can't change it when aligning on secoand star (i.e. during alignment procedure). This appears to be fixed at top (and noisy) rate. Do you have any others ideas?

Thanks for any more help,

Nick

Archived