SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help needed about deep sky images

I've tried to take some deep sky image pictures but not sure what I am seeing.

When I am looking through my telescope (celestron 5SE) for deep sky images, will I see through the eyepieces the same as what the camera is going to see?

What size eyepiece should I be using for deep sky images?

This is my first year doing all this and I'm loving it.

your help would be great appreciated :D. I have spent tons of hours trying.

Thanks

hi

the way people usually do it, is using a dslr in prime focus, without a eyepiece, or with a ccd camera in primefocus.

it will not show things at the same size as you see it in your eyepiece.

a dslr is good for deepspace, but not as good at solarsystem objects, for that you will need something like the celestron neximage, as a starter option.

i guess you are using the camera listed in your equipment. i dont know anything about that camera.

a very popular camera for astrophoto, is the canon 1000d and 450d.

if you get one of those cameras, you will only need a adapter from the camera to your scope, and away you go!

alfi

Prime focus isn't the only way to go, you can also take pictures through the eyepiece. this is known as the afocal method and it's a good way of starting out without breaking the bank. I did this when I first started off, here's a few of them: Stargazers Lounge - Whippy's Album: Afocal shots . A camera adapter such as this would be ideal: Adaptors - Baader Microstage Clickstop digital camera adapter.

I see you're using a Celestron 5SE which in fairness aren't the best scopes for taking pictures as they are a 'slow' scope (the higher the focal ratio, the slower the scope). Saying that, even with that scope you should be able to take pics of the Moon and the brighter planets.

hi

the most used, and popular dslr cameras is the canon 1000d and 450d, both of them are capable of really great images.

if the scope is good enough, it is a start, its better to get a camera first, and find out how to use it, and then if you like it, you can upgrade the scope.

if money isent an issue, there are of course better scopes to be had.

like a 80mmED or a 200mm newton, on a goto mount.

alfi

can I get deep sky images with this telescope with a better camera or will I be wasting my money on a new camera?

Thanks

To be honest, it's far from an ideal setup for long exposure DSO imaging. As Alfi has aready mentioned an ED80 with an equatorial mount is a great start. Combine that with either a DSLR or a cooled CCD camera and you'll be up and running.

Tony..

As a cheaper option, you could get something like the 1000d, and mount it on a dovetail, straight onto the mount and do some widefield... It'll be good practice, and allow you to use a smaller focal ratio. I'm sure you could get some good results like that. If I recall correctly, that's an AltAz mount, then whilst there are limits to how long you can expose for, you should be able to get 2 minute exposures low in the east, reducing as you get south/north or higher overhead...

Really though, an EQ mount and the ED80 is a better option..

Archived