Help for a newbie in Barnet, herts

Hi Peeps,

I hope you don't mind me copying and pasting part of my ' welcome' post that wrote to introduce myself.

I'm Neil from Barnet, Herts/North London and I have just bought my first ever telescope and I wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew icon_smile.gif It's a Skywatcher Explorer 200 EQ5.

Phew !it's a big thing ! icon_eek.gif

I am an absolute novice and newbie to the world of telescopes and despite the manual being somewhat lacking in detail I have managed (i think) to correctly assemble it ! As far as everything else that I need to do to ...to get it working right,... is another matter. Though, (jumps for joy) I believe I have balanced it right ! All, I need to know is understand all the terms and how to use it !!..why don't they supply a glossary ..I suppose it's because they expect a modicum of knowledge already !..that's not me at all...I am a laymans layman !. I have always been fascinated with the sky...but have never ever looked into telescopes until I discovered about the Skywatcher.

What are the chances of someone being local to me who might be able to assist me in the final setting up procedures ?..and literally have enough patience to explain what everything does ?

I have tried to find a local astronomy club but the nearest I have found is 40 miles away ! Does anybody know of any closer to Barnet

LOL..wifey is pulling her hair out as to where I am supposed to store it. I imagine it should be OK in the garage yes ? At the moment it it set up in the dining room ! icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, I love the forum and now that I have my own telescope I took the dive and joined up...

Best Wishes to all

Neil

hi neighbour (I am near finchley). I am afraid that I have never had an eq mount so I cannot help you but I do know of astronomy societies at haringey (I think) and Letchworth (although I haven't been to either) so if you google them you might find some details and someone to help you. I hope you can sort it out. I do know that the scope you have is a great scope as I have had the 6" and the 10" (on dob mounts) and will give you wonderful views.

Hi nielep and welcome to the club!! I have the same scope and store mine in the garage at the moment - I have a nifty easy to make cupboard for mine to keep the dust and grit off - PM me and I will send details if you like. I'm not near enough to help otherwise (Norfolk) but the 200P is a good 'scope - I can't really fault it so far - you should have many, many hours observing ahead of you!

Hi Neil,

The Astronomy society of haringey meets in Southgate - ASH - Home

The West of London Astronomy Society meets in alternately in Harrow and Ruislip, they also have an observing site outside the city for slightly darker skies, thats available 1 weekend a month. Wolas Home page

Hope this helps

THANK you ever so much Mighty Kong. This is so very helpful indeed !

YAYYY !!

hi neighbour (I am near finchley). I am afraid that I have never had an eq mount so I cannot help you but I do know of astronomy societies at haringey (I think) and Letchworth (although I haven't been to either) so if you google them you might find some details and someone to help you. I hope you can sort it out. I do know that the scope you have is a great scope as I have had the 6" and the 10" (on dob mounts) and will give you wonderful views.

Gosh, you're just down the road !

Hi Kniclander and Thank you also for your kind assistance.

I will googlefy and hope that there's help at the other end !...LOl..I need it !!!

Hi nielep and welcome to the club!! I have the same scope and store mine in the garage at the moment - I have a nifty easy to make cupboard for mine to keep the dust and grit off - PM me and I will send details if you like. I'm not near enough to help otherwise (Norfolk) but the 200P is a good 'scope - I can't really fault it so far - you should have many, many hours observing ahead of you!

Hey Bizibilder !

Thank you very much for your warm welcome. I'll pm you for the details on your cupboard. Personally, I think it's a thing of beauty and can not really see what the fuss is all about from wifeys point of view !!

I mean, she has handbags and shoes... all I have is a telescope that fills the whole dining room ! :D

Thank you again

Archived