NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Taking photo,s of planets

Nick R

Being a clear night i took my scope out for a play , i wanted to take photo,s of the moon and jupiter with my nikon D 60 ,I set it on the T mount and all i got was image to dark when trying to photo Jupiter , How do i enhance it so it will take pic,s

Regards

Nick

DSLRs are not the best for planetary photography other than perhaps the Moon. They are better suited to long exposure photography of fainter objects.

The ones with LiveView may be different, as I know some folk have tried this for planetary imaging. Not being familiar with the various Nikon models I don't know if yours has it.

Cameras like the Toucam/DMK/DBK models are better because they allow you to take sequences of frames which help to compensate for the turbulence in the atmosphere. You then use a program like Registax to select and stack the best frames.

Live view won't help with planets. I've done a little planetary imaging with my 450d, and to get image scale is a total nightmare. I ended up with 20x worth of barlow and teleconverter, which puts the exposure time, even at ISO1600 at far far too long (and to say the connections looked precarious is a bit of an understatement). It'll be fine on the moon, I'd guess the ETX90 (it's a Mak isn't it) will about fill the frame with the moon on your SLR. I'd get the Imaging Source DMK type camera rather than a webcam, you'll almost certainly get frustrated with the slow frame rate (I have).

Archived