NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Remote operation set up

Sparrow

I need some inspiration to get me started on this one.

Just to explain, an observatory is not an option for me - the best location for a clear view of the sky is right outside our kitchen window and as tolerant as she is, "she who must be obeyed" would not tolerate a huge dome right outside the kitchen window.

So.... I decided that for long runs of imaging, I'd like to get set up for remote operation from in the kitchen. Broadly speaking, I need a box on the wall that I can plug the various cables in to, which then runs through to the kitchen for me to plug the laptop in to. Wiring is not a problem - my best friend is a fully qualified electrical engineer so he can ensure that everything is done safely.

The main stumbling block we have hit so far is a weatherproof box to house the wiring in - all the ones we've seen that are big enough are the type that screw closed - I obviously need one that hinges open so that I can just open it each night to plug in to. I need two boxes - one for power supplies (probably mains, 12v and 5v), and one for data cables (probably housing a USB hub and network cable). Somewhere in to the bargain I also want to wire up a security camera so I can keep an eye on the equipment whilst I'm in doors.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for suitable boxes to house this spaghetti in - any other comments or suggestions would also be appreciated - I'd like to future proof this work as much as possible so if there are any connections I should perhaps think of then please mention them.

regards

John

I use a hinged clip lock enclosure part no EPROCK made by SMJ electricals the link to the company is below. It's big enough to hold a ganged socket, 12v PSU, USB hub, CCD PSU etc. It is hinged with two clip locks and is IP64 rated. I think I bought it at either Maplins or BnQ, but they dont seem to stock it now. The manufacturers website is below and also a supplier ( I have not used this supplier so no idea how good they are). Unfortunately there is no picture on the manufacturers website. It is in there catalogue part no EPROCK

SMJ Electrical :: Cable Reels

SMJ IP64 Exterior Weaterproof Enclosure : SMJ : Tooled-Up.com

If you want I could take a picture of it

Regards

Kevin

Sorry to jump in here John.... :-) , but if Kevin could post a pic of this box with some dimensions that would be great. I have been looking for a suitable enclosure for my cables, so that I can run then permanently to my pier from the warmroom.

Cheers,

Gary

Here's a few pics of the box its an unusual shaped box as it has curved edges.

External dimensions

Width 29.5cm

Height 21cm

Depth 11cm at widest point down to 8cm or less

Internal

Width 28cm

Height 19

Depth 9.5 - 6.5 approx

There are a few intrusions into the inner area where cable clamps are situated.

There are six entry/exit points. The box can be padlocked closed and the box has a loop at top to hang it from.

post-13764-133877402859_thumb.jpg

post-13764-133877402865_thumb.jpg

post-13764-133877402872_thumb.jpg

post-13764-13387740288_thumb.jpg

Archived