NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Buying a LXD55- Is it worth it....

I used to have a lxd55 with an 8" SCT, always found it tracked ok and once set up the goto put the target into the 25mm eyepiece every time, but at 2am it sounds like your grinding coffee beans when slewing! I also found the tripod to be a bit shakey and had to suspend extra weights underneath it to give a bit more stability. What ota were you thinking of putting on it?

....considering all the 'mechanical problems' that could arise?

Any one have this odel?

Cheers ,

Dave :)

Hi

There is a number of different LDX-55

Refractor and SCT

the Refractor comes with an EQ mount

where as the SCT comes with a forked mount.

Which are you considering?

As sky at night says the Enthusiast with the LDX.com like to modify the mounts and scopes

might be worth asking if the one on offer has been modded

The astronomy version of the Citroen Saxo then?

You'll need a big set of speakers to drown out the tractor-like grinding of the thing when slewing!!! :)

But you could give it a 2-tone paintjob and stick your name across the counterweights without affecting performance.

Steve

I have the Meade LXD55 5" Achromat, this is now mounted on a EQ-5 fitted with Meade motors and Autostar497 quite a reasonable general purpose scope and is easier and quicker to set up when the weather clears for brief periods.

Of course the Achromat does not need repeated collimation just get it out of the storage case fit to the mount do a quick polar alignment and you are away.

The draw back is aperture

Archived